Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Just Another Day

I've been working on managing a sense of dread about today.

At work, we are making some Big Changes and the impact on me is that I need to learn new computer systems.  I have no problem learning new things- I usually get excited about it.  However, these new systems are really very old systems and will be taking us backwards about a decade or so.  Our current system "does everything."  With the new systems, I have to go backwards to multiple systems that handle various tasks.  The job will be more menial, more labor intensive.

I have been dreading this day.  I have been hoping some sort of miracle would happen and changes would be made.  I've been dreaming of the higher ups realizing that since the system they are forcing us off of is the same system they are implementing globally within the next 5 years... maybe it would make more sense to just move others to the new system sooner.

I expect to be frustrated to learn 4 or more new systems to replace the 1 system we use now.

I expect to be frustrated by those who learn more slowly.

I expect to be frustrated by the set up issues.

I expect to be frustrated by password confusion.

(As the day is now half over, I can confirm that my expectations are being met.)

Before I got out of my car, I took a moment to pray.  Because I knew my attitude was way off base and it wasn't going to serve me well.

The message I got was...

Today is just another day.

Face it like any day.  You never know what the day holds.  So just take each moment as it comes- whether it leaves me feeling blessed or frustrated.  It's just another day.  I can fight and argue and complain.  I can be difficult and try to show The Man how wrong he is.

Or I can take it as any other day.  This isn't my higher purpose.  I'm doing my best to set an example, to be grace-filled, to focus on what really matters.

It's just another day.

This is the day that the Lord has made; 
let us rejoice and be glad in it.  
Psalm 118:24

Photobucket

No comments: