Monday, December 16, 2013

2013 Christmas Program

It's Christmas Program time at church!

I've been involved with our children's Christmas program for the past several years - it's a joint effort between me and our Worship Leader / Associate Pastor (and my good friend).  We have done the traditional nativity scene using only Scripture and Carols.  We have done shows where the kids only have to stand and sit and sing at the right moments.  We've done shows where there are lines to memorize and a story to tell.  

This year, we have a play with Scripture and song interspersed throughout.  

And I wrote it.

And Teagan is 1 of 5 of the lead angels in the play.  

But those aren't my favorite things about it.

There are lots of favorite things about it, actually. 

Like... kids being involved that haven't been involved in much with the church before.  Kids taking lead roles that are stepping them out of their comfort zone.  

But I have to confess that I have a favorite moment.  

At one point in the show, the following Scripture is read by one of our kids:

Philippians 4:6-7

Don’t be anxious about things; instead, pray. Pray about everything. He longs to hear your requests,so talk to God about your needs and be thankful for what has come. And know that the peace of God (a peace that is beyond any and all of our human understanding) will stand watch over your hearts and minds in Jesus, the Anointed One.

Now, if you've ever attended any kind of Christmas program or kid program... you know that sometimes the kids don't quite get the full meaning of what they are reading?  Especially with Scripture.  I use kid-friendly translations to make it easier and I try to explain to them what they are reading and why it is important.  But when they are reading, it's kind of just a lot of words.

Unless you're the kid reading that bit from Philippians.  Now, some of his reading is just reading the words.  But some of his reading...  he's preachin'.

It kind of goes like this when he gets started -

Don't be anxious about things!!!  Instead -  PRAY! PRAY about EVERYTHING.

I went to a friend's wedding recently and a young woman led us in The Lord's Prayer.  And she got to the end and said...

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, AND the GLORY.

And it changed the prayer for me.

And when this little boy reads that first line... it changes the verse for me.  It makes it sink in differently.

Which is why it's my favorit thing in our Christmas program this year.  Because I think other people are going to hear it and that verse will be changed for them, too.

Photobucket

No comments: