Saturday, November 7, 2009
I've had allergies my entire life. I grew up allergic to dairy. It sucked. No ice cream, no cereal with milk, no cheese. I was allergic to pollen and cats and dogs and mold. I remember going in for allergy testing- when they do all those pricks on your back. Awful. In early puberty, I developed an allergy to horses. I was outgrowing my milk allergy (which caused ear infections). My mom, dad, and I used to go downtown and the highlight of the trip would be stopping on Fountain Square to visit the horses and buggies. There was one horse I loved the best -he looked exactly like Black Beauty with the white star on his forehead and one white stocking by a rear hoof. One night, we went to visit the horses and on the drive home... I broke out into hives and swelling and such. I've been allergic to hazelnuts my entire life. Swelling, hives, and impacting my breathing. I still avoid hazelnuts at all cost. Over the past few years, I've needed some over the counter assistance with allergies but nothing major. In fact, I've been surprised that I can live with dogs and not be allergic beyond normal reactions. Something weird is going on and I'd love to know if anyone has dealt with this or has any recommendations. About once every 3 weeks, I get hit with a major allergy Attack. And I do mean Attack. I will sneeze and sneeze and sneeze and then BLAM-O! My sinuses are filled with cement, my nose is running, I can't breath in or out through my nose, my eyes are red and itchy and watery and swollen. I completely lose my sense of taste (to the point that I was able to eat spoonfuls of hot sauce in a Cuban restaurant and not taste even a hint of zing). It lasts about 2 hours and then I'm left slightly congested for another few hours and then... nothing. It's happened at work, it's happened at home, it happened outside with my kids today. There is no known trigger... Christy and I have reviewed and reviewed the circumstances of each attack- environment, food. It's awful. Had one hit this afternoon at 3 and now it's almost 10 and I'm finally able to breath through my nose completely. When it hits, I take a double dose of my allergy meds and a dose of Tylenol Sinus. I've tried using saline spray or a neti pot, nasal medicated spray, blowing, not blowing... nothing makes it stop, nothing makes it better. I just have to suffer through it. Any advice on potential triggers is appreciated. Stories of similar issues are appreciated. Words of pity are fine, too. I just would really love to have some answers.
|No time to comment?|