Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Summer Reading

Teagan has become quite the reader.

If she is at home, you will rarely find her without a book in her hand or within reach.

She is currently a big fan of the Geronimo Stilton series, the Cam Jansen series, and books about puppies.  She's also eager to get her hands on more of the Absolutely Lucy series.

We signed up for the library's summer reading program and are logging the books she reads.  She's also signed up for her school's participation in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge and we will be logging minutes read.

She wakes up at 5:30 in the morning, shuts her door, turns on her lamp, and reads for 30-45 minute or more each morning.

She comes home and grabs a book.  She reads before going to bed.  She brings a book in the car.  Sometimes, we let her read while out to dinner.

Reading is also one of the best tools for getting her to snap out of a bad attitude.

My daughter is a reader - and proving to be a rather voracious one, at that.


Our last trip to the library meant a 15 book haul for my girl.  We go to the library weekly and I'm curious to see how many books she will have devoured.  Most impressive, to me, is that she retains and comprehends. I can ask her about the books she's read (and reread) and she can tell me about the plot and characters and favorite parts.

I also spent the last few weeks reading the first Harry Potter book to both kids and they really enjoyed it.  Now the book will be handed over to Teagan so she can reread it at her leisure.

I'd love your suggestions for an 8-9 year old girl who is really getting into reading!  Here is a list I've started. The starred items are books I want to read first or read with her - either because of more serious subject matter or because of my own recollections of reading that book!

Babymouse: Queen of the World
Babysitters Club
Cinderella Smith
Clementine
Hotel for Dogs
Pie
Glory Be *
Wonder *
Because of Winn Dixie *
Bunnicula *
Freckle Juice *
How To Train Your Dragon *
Harriet the Spy *
Pippi Longstocking *
The Borrowers *

Zach is on on the summer reading, too.  We are picking up picture books for him on our weekly journeys to the library and he is participating in the library's summer reading program, too.  He isn't reading on his own yet but between Teagan reading to him from her Geronimo Stilton books and story books we find for her to read to him, the books I pick out to read to him, and the kid version comics that he and Daddy read, he is well on his way to being a reader like the rest of his family.

And the total silver lining is that I am finding that I'm getting back to reading!  Over the couple weeks, I've  already finished up 4 books - the last 2 books in the Sookie Stackhouse series and a book called "Saving Max" and "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children."  I have 3 more books sitting at home from the library.

Photobucket

5 comments:

KPCL Girl said...

We have Miss Peregrine on CD in the car. Leaving on (yet another) vacation on Friday. :-)

designHER Momma said...

Ok, you need (says my almost 3rd grader) The Sister Grimm. My girl just read the last in the series (the 9th book) and is currently going though the grief process....

Ann-Marie said...

You've got a great list going and some that my almost-9-year-old daughter hasn't read yet. We've been reading the Little House series together, starting from the beginning. We got her the 1st season of the TV show on DVD for Christmas last year! Good, wholesome fun.

Nancy said...

I second the Sisters Grimm series. I am still waiting to read 8. I love children't literature!

Crystal said...

Ramona books! Or anything else by Beverly Cleary.