Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Healthy. Hmmmmm.

I've been thinking about this word lately.

Healthy.

Even when you look it up in a dictionary, you don't get a good definition.

"enjoying health and vigor of body, mind, or spirit"

"in good health"

"freedom from disease or abnormality"

"a condition of optimal well being"

I am working on healthy living.  Eating better.  Moving more.

How do I know when I've become healthy?  When I've eaten nothing but whole foods for a month?  When I can run a 5K?  When my annual physical comes back with zero areas of concern?  When I feel strong and energetic?  When I reach a certain weight?

How do any of us know when we are healthy?  And if we all have different definitions of healthy, how are we ever supposed to know how to get there?

If you ask the question - "I want to lose weight" or "I want to get healthy" - you will get a different answer from every person you ask.

Some need to follow a diet.  Some need a strict plan. Some need accountability.  Some need medication or surgery or counseling.  Some need a goal.  Some need to cut out sugar.  Some need to go gluten free.

We each have to find what works for us.

For me...

I am focusing on natural foods, real foods.  If it grows, it's good.  Doesn't mean I stick with it 100% of the time.

I am focusing on letting God into my food.  I've kept Him pretty well locked out.

Next step is to get some daily, intentional activity.

I'm not looking to run a marathon.  I'm not looking to be a certain size or weight.

At the end of the day, I just want to be able to honestly say that I did my best.

I want to know that I took care of my body.   That I took care of my spirit.  That I took care of others.  That my choices reflected love, respect, and dignity.

That's what healthy is to me.


Photobucket

No comments: