Thursday, May 29, 2014

Why I'm Hooked on Dr. Phil

I first became a fan of Dr. Phil when he was on Oprah and I watched regularly when he started his own show.  I read the books he wrote.  I even read Robin's first book.

And then I lost interest.

I never disliked him.  I just didn't care anymore.

But recently, I've discovered Dr. Phil all over again.

His current season seems to really focus on a few primary categories:  teens accusing someone of abusing them (are they telling the truth??), catfishing (especially adults who are getting heavily scammed), abusive/unhealthy love situations.

But there is something very different, still, about Dr. Phil's approach.  And that's why I still enjoy watching his show.

On typical other talk shows, if someone is accusing someone else of molesting them, for example, there would be a lot of screaming and accusing.  And if it seemed like the accuser was lying, the parents were really made out to be angelic and the teen was made out to be a horrible person.

On typical other talk shows, someone twisted up in a catfish scam (where they have formed an online relationship with someone who isn't a real person) will be humiliated and made to feel really stupid.  And usually a lot of yelling about who's right and who's wrong.

But with Dr. Phil... while he does point out the obvious in his genteel southern-esque type of style...

He is matter of fact with those catfished people.  He isn't trying to humiliate them.  He is logically showing them the truth of the situation.

When it comes to those out of control teens who are raging and disrespectful and sometimes making false allegations... he doesn't just point out all the ways they are acting out, he also shows the bad choices the parents have made.

What it boils down to is that in any story, there are many different factors, many different players.  And Dr. Phil knows how to highlight many aspects of the story.  And he knows how to reach out to the hurting person and offer them help through intensive therapy or whatever.  But he does it in such a way as to make it a gift, not a punishment.

So, yes, I admit it.  I still like Dr. Phil.  It's sensational.  It's marketed to grab your attention.  But there is sstill something about the show that I like.


sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

1 comment:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm with you. I don't watch his show very often, but when I do, I like it.