Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why Do People Hurt People?

Just a quick thought to toss out there... Why do people choose to purposefully hurt other people? I don't mean all the underlying reasons about their childhood or their self esteem or whatever. I mean... when someone makes a choice and they know that someone is going to get hurt in the process... why don't they work to make it easier, better? Even worse- why do they teach their kids do be mean? Sometimes I am really just baffled by the choices people make and the way they justify it to themselves. Photobucket

6 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Because there are people without a conscious and just plain mean spirited. I like that old golden rule "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything!"

Mary said...

I don't know, Liz, I don't understand that dynamic either. On reflection, I think it comes from a deep-seated need to feel superior, and if they can make someone else feel "less than" then *they* can stay on top somehow. Maybe. Or maybe its deeper than that. Pray for them.

Katina said...

Plain ol' pride! People hurt people alot of times because they are hurting themselves and due to selfishness. Think about it, a lot of people tell their kids, go for #1. You don't need anyone but yourself! You are the captain of your ship! You can't be all about yourself AND be a nice person. It's like oil and water.

Jeff said...

It's easy.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I think it's a very blatant cry for attention. I think that those who are deliberately cruel are actually screaming to the world that they lack the love and confidence that most of us take for granted. I just try to remind myself and my kids that those who are so cruel are the ones who are losing out. They're the ones who will always feel pain for the lack of compassion they so desperately need.

Unknown said...

This may sound controversial but it's been my experience that Christians hurt more than others. I don't know why, perhaps it's that we become more critical since we tend to see things more in black and white instead of many different shades or colors.
I wish it were not the case, though.