Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Season of Giving: The Fresh Air Fund

I'm going to do a new feature in the month of December. I'm going to feature various groups that help those in need. I'm not doing fundraising for them- just bringing attention to groups that I think do important work. Perhaps you will feel the urge to connect to that group or find something similar in your area that you can volunteer your time and talents. Perhaps you will want to make a donation. Perhaps you will just feel warm and fuzzy knowing that good is being done in the world. *** Today, I'm featuring The Fresh Air Fund. From the website: Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund, a not-for-profit agency, has provided free summer experiences in the country to more than 1.7 million New York City children from disadvantaged communities. Each year, thousands of children visit volunteer host families in 13 states and Canada through the Friendly Town Program or attend Fresh Air Fund camps. I never went away to camp when I was a kid. I look forward to camp experiences with my kids- there is a family camp we could attend through our church. I read books about summer camps and I dreamt of summer getaways where I could swim and do lots of fun things. The Fresh Air Fund gives kids that opportunity. In addition to providing inner city kids from New York with summer vacation and camp opportunities, The Fresh Air Fund has programs that run year round. From their website: Summer may seem far away, but NYC children are currently participating in Fresh Air programs, from weekly tutoring sessions to job shadowings to weekend retreats at Fund camps in upstate New York! Our Career Awareness Program serves more than 300 youngsters in middle and high school. We also have new leadership programs for young women to develop their “can-do” attitudes!

The great thing is that even a small donation can make a difference. $10 covers the expense of transporting a child to their Fresh Air Fund summer experience. $24 pays for a week of swim lessons. You can be involved with a small donation or even go so far as be a volunteer or a host family. Did you have outdoor fun as a kid? Go away to camp? Visit family in the country? I'd love to hear about it! Photobucket

2 comments:

Alison said...

My family participated in a program in Cleveland called Friendly Town. They matched inner-city kids with families in the suburbs (or, in our case, the way-out country!) to spend two weeks in the summer. It benefitted both ways; my brother and I spent a weekend at the home of our student. And it really benefitted his parents when the public school teachers went on strike for several months!!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Flartus, I'm betting your Friendly Town was part of The Fresh Air Fund! If you go to their website, you can read about the communities that participate- called Friendly Towns. Sounds like a blog topic for you!! :)