Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Yummy Dinner the Whole Family Liked!

My mom sent me a tip on a yummy chicken slow cooker recipe she tried last week. 

I planned for it and sent Jeff a message this morning to let him know he could set up the slow cooker if he went home for his lunch break today. 

And he did.  And it was delicious.

We had about 2 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast.  1 can of cream of chicken soup.  A few spoonfuls of cream cheese.  A packet of Italian dressing seasoning.  Put it all in, cooked on low for 5 hours.

It shredded like a dream.  Teagan tasted a bite and loved it.  I also knew she had her heart set on shredded BBQ chicken like she'd sampled at the grocery over the weekend.  I'd found a BBQ sauce without High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) - Bull's Eye.  It's my new favorite BBQ sauce- great smoky flavor and perfect blend of sweet and spicy.

So Teagan had hers shredded with BBQ sauce.  Zach had his shredded without BBQ sauce.  Jeff and I had regular chicken breast.  I did a quick steamer bag of cut green beans and a 90 second heat up bag of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice.  Teagan added ponzu sauce to her rice.  I added the sauce from the slow cooker to my green beans and rice.

Zach had 2 helpings of chicken.  Teagan had 2 helpings of chicken and rice.  The chicken was a big hit- they ate good sized portions with each serving. 

Meal time has been a source of stress in this house before and there have also been big changes happening in the past few weeks.  Tonight, we had a meal that Jeff and I both made together (in our own way) and that the family really enjoyed.

I like that.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Alison said...

A pat on the back to your mom, too, for passing on the recipe. It sucks that we have to depend on so much pre-packaged or processed food (can't think of an easy substitute for the canned soup, myself), but if that's what it takes to have the whole family sit down to a homemade meal, so be it!

When I read the statistics re: the benefits of regular family dinnertime TOGETHER, I feel blessed that it was an unquestioned part of my upbringing. I applaud any two-job household (or single parent!) who can pull it off regularly.

Liz's Mom said...

This recipe for Cream of "Something" Soup came from 1orangegiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/07/anything-you-wanna-call-it-casserole.html

1C dried milk
3/4 C cornstarch
1/4 bouillon cubes or dried soup base
4 T minced freeze dried onions
1 t basil
1 t thyme
1 t pepper

1 can condensed soup=1/3C mix + 1 1/4 C water. Cook until thick (1-2 min.)

Katherine said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a dinner that everyone will eat? Dinner can be so stressful, it's so nice when there is no dinner drama and everyone just eats nice.

Garret said...

Sounds yummy Liz. I might have to try that one. I miss dinner with my other half. =(