Monday, March 5, 2012

Loss

Sunday was a difficult day.

It started out as a normal day.  As we had been Friday and Saturday, we were paying attention to the news to see coverage of the tornado damage inflicted on our state and neighboring states.  We were touched by the story of the baby girl found in a field, all alone, near her home.  We were touched more deeply when we heard that all other members of her family had been killed and she was in critical condition.  And we, as a family, were saddened to hear of her passing.

I had a moment to check Facebook and saw sad news from a friend.  Her family had rescued a dog from an abandoned house a few months ago.  Initial vet visit indicated that Bailey had heartworms.  Treatment began and was difficult and the stress on my friend was enormous.  Yesterday, Bailey went to the Rainbow Bridge.

But the biggest loss of all is one that I am really struggling to wrap my brain and my heart around.

I've mentioned the local online mom group that I have been part of for the past 5 years or so.  Through that group, I've seen and been part of some amazing things, some dramatic things, some fun things.  I've made some wonderful friends and connected with women who are compassionate, passionate, and determined to be the best moms they can be.

We've experienced loss together as a group.  We have moms in our group who have lost children, spouses, parents.

Yesterday, in a terribly unexpected way, one of our moms lost her most precious little boy.  You can read her sharing about it on her blog- Our Crazy House.  I'd encourage you to leave some words of support if you feel called to do so- I think this family needs as much love as possible right now.

Her family had been enduring and fighting a virus- just like so many of us at this time of year.  Her little boy- due to turn 4 in April- had gone to bed with his cold symptoms on Saturday night.  She checked on him Sunday morning and he was sleeping.  She checked again later in the morning- and he was unresponsive.

As I lay in bed last night, my head and heart couldn't stop thinking about what that moment must have been like for her.  I couldn't stop wondering about the day and how it felt and how she would be able to get through that horrible day and have to face the next one.

Her name is Amanda, her son- Elias.  Elias leaves behind 2 little brothers and an older sister.

So much loss in a short period of time.  From faraway places that don't directly impact me... to close by friends losing a pet they tried so hard to save... to what I imagine to be the hardest loss of all.

Count your blessings, check your priorities, and please send prayers, meditations, warm thoughts or anything else you have in the direction of those suffering loss right now.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Kristi said...

My heart aches for all of these people. I cannot fathom losing my house or my dog, and don't want to know what losing a Child feels like. My girls both have asthma and I have always had the fear of one of them not being able to breathe in the middle of the night, not being able to cry out for help and the unimaginable result of that happening. My heart goes out to this mom, who I don't even know. I pray for her healing as I know she has a long road ahead of her. : (

Lynn Freeman said...

Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of Mike's passing, the loss thing is huge in my up front memory and mind right now. All of this really hits home - people I don't even know that I cry for or who my heart hurts for. Sometimes when you experience loss it's magnified so much more. But to even imagine the gravity of the loss of a child in that way is so, so painful. I read her blog...I can't believe she was able to put those words, thoughts, pictures together. I hope it helped her to do it. This past year has made me so much more compassionate and aware of just how short and tenuous life can be. Hug your beautiful, beautiful kids today Liz. If I was there, I'd do it too.

Momza said...

Oh Liz, you have a tender mother heart like me. I read Amanda's blog--so incredible that she could put her thoughts down on the same day. She must be one very strong woman.
I too, mourn over the loss of that little one found in the field after the storm--I shook my head and asked outloud, "Why, Lord?" I don't understand it all. There are so many crummy people in this world that exist day to day and yet it's the ordinary good people whose suffering seems so senseless. It makes me sad and reminds me, as you have done--to hug more tightly, love more intensely and openly. You just never know. Sending hugs your way today.