Friday, February 14, 2014

Menu: Week 1 Wrap Up and Week 2 Plan

We did it!!  Provided we actually cook dinner tonight as planned - we followed the menu and ate dinner at home 4 weeknights this week!

If you need help remembering the plan - here's the post from last week.

A couple of notes so I can do better next time around:

Chicken Nuggets.  These were a hit! I really liked them, the kids loved them, and Jeff thought they were fine.  Next time around, I want some fun dipping sauces.  The kids had apple slices and the grown ups had salad.  I'd like to have something else with it.  Frying in coconut oil was very easy and fast.

Chicken Taco Night. Always a family favorite. Everyone gets to make their stuff how they want it.

Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken. This one needs some work.  I would use less soy sauce (it called for 1/3 c and I think I'd try less than 1/4 cup) and I would increase the pineapple juice from 1 cup to 1.5 cups.  Might increase the brown sugar, too.  It wasn't sweet at all.  I think I might add some chopped up pineapple to the fried rice, too.

And we haven't had the pasta dish yet so I will have to add notes for that later!

And now to come up with the plan for next week...

First step is to check the calendar.  It looks like we should be able to follow the same plan.  It's a holiday on Monday but that should, ideally, make it easier to cook at home, right?

I'm going out on a limb and planning a potato bar for Sunday evening.  Jeff has a thing he's doing on Sunday so I'm not sure he'll be home for dinner.  So I think we'll do an easy rotiserrie chicken, baked potatoes, and various toppings.

Monday - Pizza night! Make our own - I like using naan I get at Target and then we each get to pick our toppings and sauces and such.  Serve with apples, salad.

Tuesday - Tuscan Roasted Chicken.  I'll do a variety of veggies. I'm thinking crispy edamame for me and Teagan, raw carrots or peppers for Zach, and broccoli for Jeff.

Thursday - Breakfast for Dinner.  Eggs, bacon, toast, fruit.  Maybe pancakes for dessert!

Friday - Pork sirloin roast is on sale this week at Marsh so I think we'll do a roast. I will use some sort of Wildtree seasoning on it - will have to figure out which ones, exactly.

Alright - time to make my shopping list!



sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

3 comments:

Jeff said...

No pineapple in the fried rice.

Amy said...

We've been cooking a lot at home, too. I agree with you that simple, known dishes are the way to go. The other day I sat down and came up with 30 meals I can make and the family will eat. My youngest is going through restaurant withdrawal ;)

Eternal Lizdom said...

Jeff - I will add it to MY bowl of rice. :)

Amy - any chance you'd like to share that list?