Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fruits & Veggies & Treadmills, Oh My!

I start my day with oil pulling - swishing coconut oil in my mouth for 10-20 minutes.

My goal each morning is to juice or make a smoothie.  It's an uber-fast way to get all my servings of fruits and veggies for the day.

Today, I made juice AND a smoothie!

My juice was:
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
a small bunch of carrots (they were kinda skinny)
2 small gala apple
1/2 a lemon (peeled)
1 cucumber
hunk of ginger

My smoothie was:
1 cup of coconut water
large handful of spinach
3/4 cup of frozen blueberries
4 whole strawberries
2 large mandarin oranges
1 banana

The awesome part is then when I start my day with such an amazing boost of vitamins and healthy stuff - I'm alot more interested in keepin gup with it the rest of the day.  It doesn't make sense in my brain to start off so clean and healthy and then go and muck it all up with a bunch of processed or fried foods.  I'm not saying that this helps me to eat perfectly the rest of the day - but it does help me want to make better choices.

And my current goal is to achieve 10,000 steps each day.  My Garmin vivofit helps with motivation and tracking.  Bottom line is that setting this goal means that I have to make time for intentional movement.  10K steps can't just happen on its own in my life.

So we got a treadmill.  Because Jeff and I both want to be healthier.  Stronger.  More fit.


I have taken advantage of talking to a wellness coach over the past 6 weeks or so - it's something offered through my employer and by participating, I get a discount on my health insurance next year.  I found it to be very helpful to know that someone was going to be calling me to help me set goals and then see how I was doing on those goals.

I'm part of a healthy living group at church.  And it's awesome.  It's a vibrant group of people who are excited to try new things, get healthy, and honor God through their healthy living choices.

And have I mentioned a certain vacation coming up?  With just me and my husband?  Talk about motivation!  I don't usually find myself motivated by the idea of looking a certain way.  But I have to admit that the idea of going away with just my husband has me wanting to be in my best shape.  And I think he's feeling that, too.  I want to have as much energy as possible.  To feel strong and ready to face each long day.  To feel... sexy.  And to look good in all of the pictures!

I'm in a good place.  Come join me.  What do you need to do to be stronger physically, mentally, emotionally?  Inside and out?


sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

1 comment:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I need to start making smoothies and juicing. I need the energy boost in the morning and I can't keep doing it with caffeine. Yikes!