Monday, September 27, 2010

Scheduling

Isn't it funny how our schedules can get jam packed? But at the same time, when something is a priority, we can push and move to make what we want happen. I spent part of my afternoon and again in the evening scouring local websites dedicated to upcoming 5K events. Part of me wants to conquer a few more events before wintertime hits. But at the same time, I wonder about putting in the hours to travel to and compete in events. I have to take a few hours away from my family each time. Most of the events aren't ones that my kids are going to want to be dragged to in order to cheer Mommy on- there would be a lot of downtime since it takes me 45 minutes to run the race! But we make time for the things important to us. A good friend tells me she needs to talk and I make my schedule available. My brother wants us to come for Family Day on campus and we make it work. Teagan gets invited to a birthday party and we shift and adjust to make it work. Zach will soon have his own social schedule- parties and playdates- and we will make that work, too. When Jeff makes plans to head out of town with his friends to work on gaming things, we make it work. When he wants to go to a movie with Brian, we make it happen. I need to be part of my church family and community. I commit to the children's choir, the praise team, our newly formed walking group. All things that I don't really seem to have time for- but things I make time for because they are a priority. I schedule my workouts. My lunch hour is when I work out. It took some adjustment but I learned how to not need that lunch hour to pig out at a restaurant or run pointless errands. It's become the time I need to move my body. Time. It's limited. And we can do with it what we choose to do with it. For the most part. But truly- don't we decide what is a priority and how we are going to spend our time? Even if we have to do something with our time that we aren't exactly eager to do, we can still choose our attitude about it. So I'll keep showing my priorities with the schedule that I keep. Maybe what I need to do is start scheduling housework. Photobucket

7 comments:

Garret said...

Housework, schmouswork.

Alison said...

Forget housework. Tell your children you're going out running for 45 minutes, and when you get back you expect the kitchen to be clean, beds to be made, laundry to be caught up, and new curtains in your bedroom.

That's what kids are for, right? ;)

Mellodee said...

Never believed a spotless house was a requirement for happiness!

Katherine said...

We do make time for what's important for us...Although I still haven't figured out how to get exercise into my schedule, since I'm still trying to work on sleeping. Ah, a lunch HOUR...now that would be nice.

April said...

It's so hard when there are so many important things!!

kbiermom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kbiermom said...

Spotless? Nope, never gonna happen, lol! But I'm finding that when I do schedule little bits of housework, I'm a happier camper. Like making a habit of emptying the dishwasher while the coffee's brewing in the morning -- that pays off in my not having to face a kitchen mess when I come back into the house after my youngest gets on the school bus.

Scheduling workouts? Yes. I'm finding this is great for short-circuiting the argument I might have with myself on whether I feel "up to it" or not, or any other ways my brain tries to trick me into wiggling out of running :)