Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Great Preschool Search

Sorry to inundate with preschool and Teagan and kid stuff. But it is my focus these days so that is what you get! I might be crossing the Montessori school we visited off the list. In fact, I *gulp* am crossing it off. I went online and read the Parent Handbook. And read this... "Parents—as well as other interested family members and care givers—are encouraged to view their child’s classroom any time during the year after the first four weeks of attendance. You must make an appointment in advance. This has become more important than ever, as increased enrollment and tours throughout the year mean that often other parents or prospective parents are scheduled to observe during the day." Italics and bold are theirs, not mine. Huge red flag. Every other school- Montessori and church and otherwise- has been very "open door" about visits and observation. And that makes me feel immediately more comfortable. This breaks my heart. Because I would really love for my daughter, for my kids, to have a Montessori education. But it doesn't seem to be plausible between this red flag and the schedule limitations of other school options. So back to square one. If I follow my gut, there is a preschool/pre-K/Kindergarten program through a local Wesleyan church. Excellent hours, provided meals, affordable, etc. It's one of the first places I called and have yet to hear anything about it that's left me uncomfortable. Time to plan a visit. Sooner rather than later, given this recent development. RAWR!!!

4 comments:

mimbles said...

Ooo, yep, that would make me uncomfortable too. The day care, pre-school and school that my kids have been at were all very much open door from the get go.

Hope the visit to the other place proves satisfying!

morninglight mama said...

Hmmm... how strange, especially because you said they had observation rooms, right? So, an unscheduled observation wouldn't interrupt the children or the class in any way, so I would question the motivation for that statement...

I hope you find something that fits for you guys!! And, so far, you've got a really good instinct, in my opinion.

Alison said...

Aw, so sorry Montesorri wasn't right for you! I was looking forward to getting an education along with Teagan. But of course your instincts are well worth listening to. And you're lucky to have more than one good option.

Kristi said...

That is just nuts! I wouldn't be comfortable either! Hope it works for you. And keep looking, if Montessori is what you want, I bet there are other good programs in the area. Kudos to you for going with your gut and not choosing that program.