Thursday, March 26, 2009

I, Palindrome, I

Figured that would be appropriate as a title for post #303.
Other great palindromes include...
Bob
racecar
level
radar
civic
kayak
Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the longest palindrome is...
The Finnish word saippuakivikauppias (soap-stone vendor) is claimed to be the world's longest palindromic word in everyday use. A meaningful derivative from it is saippuakalasalakauppias (soapfish bootlegger). An even longer effort is saippuakuppinippukauppias (soapdish batch seller). Koortsmeetsysteemstrook (fever measuring system strip) is probably the longest palindrome in Dutch.
Palindromes can come in sentence format as well. For example:
Was it a car or a cat I saw?
And if I wasn't at work, I would find a video of They Might Be Giants and the song that I've titled this post after... perhaps I'll look for it from home this evening and add it.
Be clear... palindromes have nothing to do with the woman who ran for VP of the USA last year.

4 comments:

Amy said...

When I was little, we used to live in zip code 47374, which I thought was totally cool! A palindromic zip code. Yep, I was a bit on the nerdy side.

Mary Ellen said...

Love palindromes. You really went all out, finding those really long ones. Sure does beat Madam I'm Adam.

skywind said...

Snake eating its own tail, meaning that the circulation time. Pooling to the starting point and end point.
Health information
Humor & Fun World

Cajoh said...

I was about to say that this reminded me of the TMBG song, but you already mentioned that— way to go John and John.

I did a paper in college on a 12 tone piece by Béla Bartók in which a section of the piece was completely palindromic. I also had a cool pin diagram which outlined the palindromes used.