Sunday, March 15, 2009

Who knew?

Who knew that the hardest part of learning to ride a bike isn't the balance but the pedaling and braking? I never stopped to think about the coordination involved in cycling your legs forward. Watching Teagan try to master pedaling her new bike this morning, I saw that she would try to move her legs up and down instead of forward. This would then cause the pedal brake to engage. Teagan kept her cool and kept trying and it got better and better. But it was something I hadn't anticipated. *** Who knew that the dream of a weekend or night away from the kids could get so big? Jeff and I are both on the verge and needing a serious break. I don't want a week away in Mexico or anything... just an overnight in a hotel somewhere. Maybe even get fancy and order room service. Or not. Until we can schedule an overnight, I guess I'll have to settle for finding a way to pamper myself. Which means I might break down and finally get a pedicure again. I haven't had one since I was pregnant with Zach! My feet desperately need some attention and softness and color. *** Who knew that an almost 17 month old could have such insane mood swings? Oh wait. I did know that. I live it every day! *** Who knew that one of the most joyous sounds is a child getting joke? We're watching a cartoon and a character fell in the mud and Teagan, without any prompting from us, started instantly cracking up laughing. It's fun to see her develop and gain a sense of humor and comprehension. It's another level of individuality- her sense of humor. *** Who knew that putting chunks of fruit on a stick made it more appealing? My kids can't get enough of it! Granted, they will eat fruit without hesitation anyway. But putting strawberries, melon, pineapple, and grapes on a stick is fun! Daddy finds it less fun as he's the one pulling the fruit off the stick for each child. *** Who knew?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for her-- learning how to ride a bike is a BIIIIIG deal.

and fruit on a stick? hmm, i'll have to try that.


ps: you must live pretty close to me, seriously. the CM is only 15 minutes from my house!

Eternal Lizdom said...

We could easily get together, Heather. I'm in Fishers and we travel down to the CM or the Zoo pretty regularly!

mimbles said...

We had complete failure on the learning to bike ride front on the weekend. Tom, aged 7, is way too big for a little bike with safe feeling training wheels. he has training wheels that are only just big enough for his big bike but they don't feel safe to him. He's currently refusing to ever get back on the bike.

However! Tonight I started reading Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men to the kids and was extremely gratified by the raucous laughter that erupted in all the right spots :) Makes me quite like them all again.

Eternal Lizdom said...

I will have to look for that book, Mim! I was surprised by how well Teagan took to her bike. Even after a spill in a neighbor's driveway, with a little encouragement, she was back up on her back and riding again.