Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Last Wednesday

Today is the last Wednesday that my baby will be 3. Tomorrow, her last Thursday as a 3 year old. Then her last Friday... her last Saturday... Sunday is her last day of being 3. Ever. I can't believe it. And to add to the growing excitement, adding to all of the changes that are coming with the advent of FOUR... I'm going to preschool tomorrow! I've been dragging my feet when it comes to looking at preschools. I know it is time. Miss Lisa has been awesome for Teagan but she needs more. She's the only girl, she's the oldest child. It's time to move to the next phase. In my college past, I started as an elementary education major. I studied Montessori a little, did some volunteer work in an inner city Montessori school. I can't say that I'm passionate about Montessori but I am very in favor of the process. And I think it is a really great fit for Teagan and the way she learns and observes. So I've gathered recommendations for Montessori schools. The downside is that most Montessori schools don't offer the extensive before-and-after care that we need since Jeff and I both work full time. And then I happened upon a Montessori school that is close to home, offers the hours we need, has a very comprehensive website, gorgeous campus, etc. I was reading Morninglight Mama's blog today and it inspired me to swallow and breath deeply and make the call. I chat with the woman who answered the phone. She is going to send a packet, etc. Very nice, very sweet. She asks if I want to come in for a tour. Absolutely! Even better... are you free tomorrow night? I can make myself free. It's a "parent experience" night. Where current parents and some potential new parents can come in, talk with the directresses, meet the teachers, and participate in hands on demonstrations of the classroom stations. Which means- play with the toys! Wahoo! So tomorrow evening, Jeff will be home with the kiddos. I will venture out to the first major step of our baby becoming a girl. And play with toys.

9 comments:

KPCL Girl said...

Not to knock anybody's day-care/pre-school, but watch for "Parent Experience Night" to be a well-choreographed dog and pony show for...you.

Make the rounds; show up in the middle of the day, during a meal or when they're trying to get everyone down for a nap (a frustrating time for day care providers) and see what you think. :-)

Eternal Lizdom said...

Good advice, thank you!

Boozy Tooth said...

Congratulations to you and Teagan on this landmark occasion! Believe me... you will both enjoy the freedom.

morninglight mama said...

This is such an exciting time! I do agree with your first commenter-- unplanned visits give you that 'authentic' feel for what an average day looks like. At my school, each classroom has one wall that is a one-way window from an observation booth, so we really never knew when university faculty, parents, potential families, directors, etc were observing, which meant you were always at the top of your game. :)

Enjoy this time, and I hope you find the perfect fit for your soon-to-be 4 year old little girl!!

(thanks for the plug, too!)

Mary Ellen said...

How exciting! I agree that unplanned visits are the best way to see what's really happening, but an evening of playing with toys sounds dreamy.

Anonymous said...

that is SO EXCITING! i am grinning from ear to ear, how awesome for you guys! :]

Joanie said...

That's so exciting! Kids grow so quickly. One of my babies will be 21 on Tuesday. And my youngest baby turned 18 on Dec 26 (I like having holiday babies). my oldest will be 25 this July. sigh... seems like she just started kindergarten and she's already out of college for 3 years.

Isabella said...

I can't even begin to think of how tough this stage will be for us...but you seem to be handling it pretty darn well. Kudos to you (and good luck with the observation night)!
I'd be in the fetal position on the floor singing "twinkle, twinkle little star" over and over.

Eternal Lizdom said...

It will get easier when you get there, Isabella, I promise!! When T was smaller, I couldn't fathom getting to this point without my own breakdown. But I can see how ready she is, how good it will be for her...