Sunday, March 21, 2010

Celebrations

I am now convinced that children get to enjoy the fun and frivolity of birthdays and that parents are attempting to remember the agony of the labor they endured those many years ago… because I am tired and sore and exhausted and in pain… just like I felt 5 years ago!

But my girl really did have a wonderful day.

We had lunch at Chick-Fil-A in the mall and then headed over to Build-A-Bear. I have to thank the friends who recommended BAB for our party. It was fantastic! Our hostess was Latoya and she was so good with the kids! There was another party starting up when I was leaving and I observed that we definitely got the better hostess. She was smiling and energetic and in control and really connected with the kids and the parents.

Once all of our friends had gathered, she lined them up and talked to them about choosing their stuffed animal friend. Each child picked out what they wanted to make- puppies and bears and pinks and browns and blues. The kids were then asked to pick out 2 little stuffed hearts and each parent took a heart- they went through a little routine to help the heart help the animal in various ways and then 1 heart from each child and all the parents went into Teagan’s bear. The other heart went into the child’s own stuffed friend.

They then marched through the store to the stuffing machine and took turns getting their friend stuffed- soft and fluffy, medium, or firm. Latoya had them play a little hot potato type game while she would stuff the animals.

Off for an air bath and brushing.

Then up front to pick out ribbons and bows and then gather for a group photo. Finally, Latoya had the kids line up on the BAB circle at the front of the store and handed out plastic cards. On one side was a picture of a lit candle, on the other was a picture of a blown out candle. We all sang Happy Birthday to Teagan and then she went around to each card and blew it out. It was great!

Latoya boxed up the animal friends- everyone left with an animal friend in a house box and some special candy treats.

I had already paid a $75 deposit. The remainder of my bill was less than $50! Not a bad deal for 10 kids at a birthday party!

We were home by 1:45 and got both kids down for naps. Out the door again close to 4- we ended up getting our food from Super Target and it was fantastic!! I have to ive Jeff full credit for the suggestion. Fantastic food, fantastic selection.

Got to the party and unloaded everything, set up the bounce house and basketball hoop, tables and chairs and food. Friends and family showed up and helped out and then the fun began! We had a great time- I just wish it had been possible to spend more quiet, quality time together with each person. But then I guess that would be more MY birthday than my 5 year old's birthday!

Jeff made Teagan's cupcakes- we took them "naked" to the party and set up a cupcake bar- ice your own, add your own sprinkles. So fun!

Lots of eating and talking and bouncing and ball throwing. Then w shut down the bounce house, pulled out the cupcake bar, opened presents, sang Happy Birthday (and sang to both Teagan and her friend, Kelly, who was celebrating her birthday today- she turned 3!). Then the clean up started and then home- exhausted.

One of the best things about the party was that we asked our guests to bring some non-perishable food items to donate to the community's food pantry. It just opened this past September. Teagan really liked that we filled up the donation basket!

What I loved most- and what I love seeing in the pictures- are the people who were there are people who love us. Jeff's parents, Jeff's sister and her kids, my brothers (and my brother's girlfriend), my dad, friends from church- including our "favorite" pastor, friends from everyday life, friends from Jeff's growing up. To look around the room and see the faces of the people who have been part of Teagan's growing up... it was very special to me. I am so blessed to have these people in my life, in my daughter's life.

The birthday weekend has come to a close- at least the hard work part. More busy weekends are ahead. But I know I have friends and family who love me and my kids who are there when I need them. And that's what the celebration of a day of birth is really all about. Photobucket

6 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

It sounds like a wonderful experience. Love the pictures!

Eternal Lizdom said...

My second montage is fixed now! It was showing the same BAB pics but is now showing the family/friends party.

Jason, as himself said...

Wow. Good job! This kind of stuff stresses me out, and I don't know why. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Katherine said...

Sounds like a great party! I love the idea of a cupcake bar.

Unknown said...

There's only one bad thing about those pictures Liz...there aren't enough of YOU in them! Next time turn over the camera to a friend so that in 20+ years when T is showing those pics to her own kids they'll see their Grandma Liz in the pics too!

I always make the same mistake...then when I work on the scrapbooks and then kids look at what I've done they ask "Where were you Mom" and I feel like UGH...not again!

Lori

Garret said...

Fantastic. The BAB does sound so cute especially with the hearts thing.