Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Thought I Loved You...

Last summer, I wrote about falling in love with a Verizon phone- the EnV Touch. And I still have deep feelings for that phone. It's a good phone. It takes good pictures, it is reliable for texting and SMS messaging, it can access the internet if I want it to, it has a full keyboard, the Bluetooth in my van works with it really well... it's a good phone. But... I've been having a little side affair. It started out innocently enough. I was testing a phone for Verizon- the Palm Pre Plus. In all honesty, I wasn't too excited about it because I'm kind of scared of "smart" phones. It's intimidating to think that a phone can do more than I know it can do. I was hesitant to really use it at first. And now the time is coming that I have to send it back. And I don't wanna. Or maybe I'm ok with sending this phone back but only because I'm realizing that my true love is elsewhere. I got to play with the Motorola Droid when it was first released. And I was mighty impressed with it but was concerned about data charges and such. Once I started to really play with this Pre Plus, I'm realizing that I don't really use the device to sit and scour the internet or anything. I use data but I can't imagine I would go over any data limits each month. Things I like: - I like the feel of the phone. - I like that the screen isn't going to come on from random touch interactions in my pocket or purse. - I like the slide out keyboard. - I like the crisp image quality of the screen. - Battery life seemed to be pretty good. I didn't have to charge the phone every night so the apps and pics and using the different functions aren't just complete battery drains. Things I love and will miss and dream about and mourn when the phone is gone: - My phone being connected to Google. I have my gmail at my fingertips. I have my Google Calendar at my fingertips- that's the part I really, really love. I can pop on and check our schedule anytime. Makes it so easy to schedule doctor appointments or to book in time for school things or work things or weekend things. I don't have to rely on being near a computer to access one of the greatest tools that our family uses to stay organized. It's in my Palm! - I can take a picture and immediately send it by text, by e-mail, or load it directly to Facebook. I also love that when I take a pic, the phone automatically saves the picture- I've lost some great pics on my EnV because I accidentally hit the wrong option after taking a pic and I end up erasing the pic or the video I just got. - Apps. I have found some fun apps, some pointless apps, and some very useful apps. Pointless- Party Sign. You type in a message and it scrolls it across your screen in big letters. Fun but pointless. Useful- AccuWeather. I love grabbing the forecast at any given moment. Fun- Dumb Waiter. It's so you can best calculate the tip on your bill but it's based on the performance and quality of the experience and food and not just a straight percentage. Another really useful one is SmartRunner. It's affiliated with the SmartRunner website. I carry my phone when I do my run or my running workout and it tracks my speed and distance. Which means it's an awesome tool for determining my pace when not on the treadmill! What I would improve: - Speed. I'm a bit spoiled because the Droid had speed down to a science. That thing is fast when loading apps, pulling up apps, bringing up e-mail and so on. In all honesty... Even though I just got my EnV Touch last summer, I am due for a new phone at some point soon (got my little notification letter in the mail). My Chocolate 3 went to my brother (we share a plan). Maybe I could look at the cost considerations between the Droid and the Palm Pre Plus and get me a new phone and pass the EnV Touch on to him... And that is often the deciding factor. Cost. I'm on the Family Share plan because Ted and I share the plan. It works out best in the long run- and I have oodles of minutes because of the plan requirements to be on a shared plan and he is a very conscientious plan sharer. If I were to go with a Palm Pre Plus or with the Motorola Droid, I would be increasing my bill because of the data plan requirement. But... it's awfully tempting to have my calendar at my fingertips, my social networking more accessible, my online life in my pocket. The Droid is faster and has a 5 megapixel camera and has more Google functionality. *drool* The Droid costs $200. *heart attack* The Palm Pre Plus has a 3 megapixel camera and I've been happy with the images. It's a little slower but not hugely slower. The Pre Plus costs $150. Better than the Droid but... for $50 more dollars... more speed, better camera.... I'd most likely still go with The Droid. I really do love this Palm Pre Plus. It's been a great little phone. But it's making me long for The Droid... like it's an introductory drug that's making me see what I was missing before. I'd honestly be pretty darn happy with either phone and there are a lot of things that are a toss up (I like the feel of the Palm Pre Plus in my hand better than the feel of the Droid, for example). Photobucket

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff M has the Droid and likes it VERY much! He mocks me with the dead usefulness and awesomeness of his Droid over my previously awesome Blackberry.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm due for a new phone this summer. I have decided that it's time to make the jump to a smart phone and have been looking forward to a Blackberry Storm 2. But they are so ubiquitous and I love the idea of having a phone that isn't everywhere.

I'm going to really have to check out the Droid and the Palm Pre Plus. Thanks!

Eternal Lizdom said...

@Lori Jeff C was talking about Jeff M's Droid and how cool it was and how it did this and that... it was like he forgot that I had previously had on in my possession back in Nov/Dec!!

@Karen Definitely check out these 2 phones. I might be finally turning towards the light of the Smart Phone!!

Kristi said...

I have the Palm Pre through Sprint and absolutely LOVE it! It is the same basic phone as the Palm Pre Plus, just through Sprint. I highly recommend it. I have no problems with speed really, and love how it connects to google, facebook, etc.
Really can't go wrong with this phone!

Mary P (Barnmaven) said...

I'm due for a phone upgrade in May, and I have Verizon, so this review is really timely! You've given me some great things to consider!

Emily said...

You know my feelings on the Droid. The Eris is AWESOME, thin, fits into most pockets/backpacks, etc fairly easily; I use mine all the time! It's easy to use and fun!!! Go for the good camera one :) :)

Mrs4444 said...

I've heard great things about the Droid. Unfortunately, I can't afford the monthly fees...