Monday, March 8, 2010

A Veggie Victory!

My family isn't very adventurous when it comes to things like food. You might recall that Teagan and I sat and made a list of the foods she likes to eat. That list has come in handy on several occassions. Teagan will complain about something on her plate and we point to it on the list and she usually will stop complaining and eat it. But the list isn't very exciting. I still venture away from it from time to time. And the results are... meh. Recently, I started making my plate different from my family's plates. I figure if I'm eating different veggies that are interesting looking, questions will be asked, interest and curiousity might step in... and who knows what might happen? Sunday, I made pork chops, peas, and white rice for the family. All items on Teagan's list. I also roasted asparagus, a squash medley, and steamed and roasted brussels sprouts. All fresh (not frozen or canned) veggies I picked up at Trader Joe's this week. I have a container filled with cooked veggies that I can snack on this week- I'm very excited! Everyone sat down and my plate was VERY different from everyone else's. Teagan started asking questions... "What is that, Mommy?" Asparagus... squash... brussels sprouts. She sounded interested but I wasn't ready to offer any of it just yet. She asked a second time about the brussels sprouts. I offered her a bite... "I guess I can let you try a bite of one, if you want." And you know what? She liked it! She didn't start asking for more and she turned me down when I offered another bite. But she tried it and she liked it! The best part? I got to satisfy my pallette with a variety of veggies! I now have a new plan to introduce veggies to the kids. I eat what I want, what I like. If interest is expressed, I might share. And veggies are so easy to fix! Have you had any similar victories? Getting someone to try something or accept something by simply demonstrating it, modeling it? Photobucket

14 comments:

Mellodee said...

Kids hate to be left out!! Making your plate special and different from everyone else's should spur lots of "why can't I have special stuff too??" kind of reactions. And that would give you a chance to need a lot of "convincing" to let her try the "big kid" food. Your plan seems positively brilliant to me.

Do let us know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

It didn't always work in our house but when we planted a small garden and the kids actually had a hand in growing what they ate, they became much more adventurous with veggies. Something about picking the bean, washing it and cooking it yourself, makes them want to eat it. But, curiosity is good too...love your different plate. I will tell you that many of their dislikes disappear when they move out of the house! My oldest was the worst eater and when he was eating salad the other night, while visiting, I almost dropped my fork. I guess he loves salad now...and fish, and veggies and....

Unknown said...

Yay for any victories over food! Unfortunately, my Katie, who has almost been a great eater and not picky at all has now decided to be extremely picky, frusturating!!

Eternal Lizdom said...

I feel your pain, Sarah. Teagan never used to be much of a picky eater. And I really hesitate to even use that term to describe my kids now. With T, I really think it's just a matter of recognizing tastes and preferences. My brother was a classic picky eater when he was little- had a VERY short list of foods he would eat and would cry if you tried to even offer him anything different! I really try to avoid food battles- it just isn't something worth fighting about for me. Well, aside from fighting the "we want to eat sugary junk all day long" battle. THAT one I fight!

Garret said...

I love fresh veggies! My favorite is broccoli.

Alison said...

What a great idea...kinda wish my parents had used it on me! Do you think it will work on Jeff, too? lol

Katherine said...

I wonder if I should make a list for my oldest, if only to remind him that he actually likes food. Although I can't really complain. My boys love spinach, broccoli, and brussel sprouts, so maybe it makes up for the fact that they don't eat fruit.

Liz Mays said...

You are rather brilliant! I'm kind of in awe of you right now.

Karen M. Peterson said...

That's such a clever idea!

The last time I ate brussel sprouts, I was 9 and I threw up that night. Part of me wants to try them again, but part of me thinks I should just learn from my past experience...

C. Beth said...

This is awesome! Wow, great job! I love the list idea too. I may have to try that.

Nancy C said...

That's great. I've eaten foods and told Owen that they are only for "big kids." He wants to try them then, of course.

Anonymous said...

I love how you say "I might share"

You just know they are going to want what you have especially if they think they can't have it!

Pearl said...

My dad used to say "What? THis? No, this is too good for kids."

:-)

We grew up eating absolutely EVERYTHING!

Pearl

hoteltuesday said...

I love that method of having her eat them! Curiosity killed the cat! ... or made it eat healthy vegetables.