Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Healthier Me Update

I'm 2 weeks into this new way of doing things. Something about deciding to do the Couch to 5K training program... about deciding to do the Race for the Cure... something has clicked in a new and different way. When I eat, I'm focused more on how that food will fuel my body. I want it to taste good, I want to enjoy it, I want it to be good for my body. I've been focusing on more fruits and vegetables. The most fascinating thing... I don't want the junk I wanted before. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything. I can eat whatever I choose to eat. I can enjoy a treat or pizza or whatever. Eating in restaurants is easier than I thought it would be. I stick with the foods I know are "safe." Salads but watch the added stuff that pile on the calories. Chicken but without sauces or unnecessary sauces. Getting the food down to as raw as possible. Exercise and movement is an important part of my life. That's been going on longer than 2 weeks. But I'm more dedicated to it now. Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday, I do my Couch to 5K workout. Yesterday, I actually did my first workout for week 3- most challenging so far. The first week, I would run 60 seconds, walk 60, run 60, walk 60. Week 2 was intervals of 90 seconds. There were times I didn't think I'd survive those 90 seconds. So the first workout of week 3 was very intimidating. 5 minute brisk walk warm up. Run 90 seconds. Walk 90 seconds. Run 3 minutes. Walk 3 minutes. Repeat all 4 and then 5 min cool down. Whoa! RUN for 3 MINUTES? Like, in a row? Seriously? I was struggling through some of those 90 second intervals! Are they nuts? Part of me was so scared that I thought about doing an extra day of week 2. But I need to stay on schedule. I need to push through. I had breakfast with a friend. I ordered 2 poached eggs, an english muffin, and a cup of fruit. Good body fuel. Took my vitamin, had my airborne. All good. Drove across town to the gym- too rainy and cool to run outside today. Had the gym to myself. Hooked up my mp3 player in one ear and had the TV on- 13 Going On 30 was on FX. Started up with my walk and was feeling good, strong, confident. Hit the 90 second run and sailed through without a problem. Whoohoo! The 3 minute run was approaching. I stayed distracted with the Thriller scene in the movie. And sailed through those 3 minutes. Sailed. No pain, no wanting to slow down. And I was doing it all on a 1% grade- to better mimic running outdoors. Next 90 second run and then walk was fine. I was feeling it all a bit more. And the 2nd 3 minute run was hard... I wanted it to end... I felt like I wanted to slow to a walk... but I didn't. I kept going. I ran it the whole way through. 3 weeks ago, I swore up, down and sideways that I was not a runner and never would be a runner. Guess I was wrong! The upcoming week is a challenge. I hit the gym on Monday for my next run. Starting Monday afternoon, my entire department is locked up in a conference room. 8-5 Tuesday and Thursday, 7:30-6 on Wednesday. Food is being brought in. Short breaks, no lunch hour. That makes my Wednesday run a challenge, for sure. I'm trying to plan ahead. What food do I need to have available... how will I get that 3rd running workout in? It's going to be a struggle to stay on track when the time I currently give to fitness has to be given to work. I will get up and walk whenever we have a break- grab a healthy snack, reload my water, brisk walk up and down the hallway or parking lot. I'm also planning out my blog posts (hmmm... anyone interested in doing a guest post for me? If so- e-mail it to me and I'll schedule it up!), figuring last details for Teagan's parties (and taking off work Friday afternoon to run errands and go read to Teagan's class- feel free to leave book suggestions for me), and discussing the drop off and pick up plans for mornings with Jeff. Oh! Fellow bloggers can do me a favor... if you post something you are really proud of, leave me a comment about it or drop me an e-mail. I know I'm going to get very behind in blog reading since I won't be at a computer most of those days. Wow- I totally got off topic. Anyway. I'm doing awesome with my new plan. I "weighed in" on my Wii Fit on Friday. I've lost 9 pounds. Rock on with my bad self. Photobucket

6 comments:

Alison said...

Waaah, I'm jealous! But it's my own dang fault for not being motivated and not doing what you are. 9 lbs, that's great, Liz! I bet it keeps on getting easier, as your clothes fit bigger, and running for a whole 3 minutes is a warm-up for you.

Good luck for you this week, especially Wednesday. How unfair they don't give you a full lunch break. Is that constitutional; isn't there some Right to Run in the Amendments? :)

Garret said...

9 frickin' pounds! Excellent!

Mary P (BarnMaven) said...

You've certainly inspired me with your progress, and I want to thank you for stopping by my blog and showing me the LizLove!

Are you doing any training on the road? I haven't got a treadmill available, it would have been nice Friday night when I ran in the rain. And since I need my glasses to be able to read the numbers on my fancy-pants New Balance runner's watch, I had foggy eyes the whole time! :)

Good luck this week, I'll be thinking of you! Week 1/Run 2 is today after church for me.

Katherine said...

Congrats on the 9 pounds! You've earned every bit of it.

Nancy C said...

Fantastic. I'm so excited for you! And you're making plans for a challenging week which is huge! Bad self indeed!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm so proud of you! And so motivated to get up and get myself to the gym tomorrow morning!