Monday, May 18, 2009

Gardening

My mom enjoys gardening and has been given, basically, free reign over our garden plans. Jeff has interest, I want results, but neither of us have the time to really put into it. Too bad my mom can't live with us... or close by... she could be gardening and cleaning and playing with my kids all the live-long day! She came and helped out with the kids while I was out of town last week. This gave Jeff the time to get some outside work done- like building our raised bed for our veggie garden. My mom came back through town on Saturday and planted, with Teagan's help, tomato plants, cucumber seeds, squash seeds, and a variety of flowers around the house (shasta daisies, columbine). I also have instructions to follow in regards to some vine type plants that attract hummingbirds that we are going to plant below the deck. We then hang twine from above and these plants will creep their way up and we will have a hummingbird hang out! Oh- I also have to transplant to obedient plants. I still have 2 rose bushes to plant this week, too. Just need to figure out where they should go.

7 comments:

Boozy Tooth said...

So sweet! Send me a cabbage, will ya? You know us Russians and our cabbage.

Garret said...

Pee on everything.... just ask Alix.

Garret

Eternal Lizdom said...

So true, Garret. Alix- when can you come over??

darsden said...

how sweet is that...

yep hear the same thing about the human pee factor..repells

Alison said...

Yay, I've been waiting for this post for months! Jeff sure got some nice dirt in that bed. How far away does your mom live? Glad to know you have a "resident" expert in case of emergencies. But the first year in a new bed is usually pretty easy--fresh dirt, no weeds, no resident pests that have you on their map. Plus, y'know, you'll have the pee factor in your favor.

I'm just waiting for Teagan to tear off those gloves and get some dirt under her nails. :)

(Oh, btw, those 'mater cages may be too short...depends on what kind of plants you have. Miss Chef bought those for our first garden, and the plants all fell over halfway through the summer. She couldn't fathom how big they were going to get!)

Eternal Lizdom said...

The soil is a mix of top soil, peat moss, and manure. Jeff can confirm all the poundage... I think it's 800 lb topsoil, 600 lb manure... and so on...

I know they planted yellow tomatoes, cherry, and grape.

I've studied up a bit on obedient plants. I think they will be really pretty- I just need to move them to their own area of the yard, completely away from everything else!

Amy said...

I really want to do a garden this year. Guess I'd better get on it. Love the raised bed you did.