Friday, May 15, 2009

I Think I'd Like a Sister Wife

Big Love. Have you seen it? It's on HBO. Tom Hanks is an Executive Producer. Bill Paxton stars. I love this show. We don't have HBO or Showtime but I do enjoy shows like Big Love and Dexter. I get obsessed, really. I end up watching an entire season within a few days. I get totally obsessed with the lives of the characters and the goings on of the storyline. This also happened recently with The Riches (an FX show you can watch on Hulu.com - starring Minnie Driver and Eddie Izzard as gypsies posing as rich people). I'm watching the last episode of season 3 of Big Love right now. I want a sister wife. I don't want to share my husband. That would be totally off limits. But to have someone who is part of our family, part of our home, helping to raise our children, have a share of the household duties... is so tempting. What it really boils down to, I suppose, is wishing we had more of ourselves. And if I stop and think about it... we kind of already have sister wives. Sister mothers. My children have other women who care for them, love them, teach them, nurture them. Miss Lisa. She cares for my children during the day. She feeds them, changes them, helps teach them potty skills, sings with them, plays with them, kisses their boo-boos, cheers for them, disciplines them. She is the second mother. Aunt Christy. In terms of friendship, she is the closest I've ever had to a sister. She knows me so well... and I know her so well... it often feels like the only thing missing is the history of shared memories that siblings get to share. She loves my kids. Should anything happen to me and Jeff, Christy would become guardian of our children. She would protect their relationships and honor the foundation of how we are raising our children. Grandma. My mother. Yes, there is a lot not... right... there. Who doesn't have issues with their mother? But my mom and I have found a way to become friends. And thankfully, we found that closeness prior to my having children. She has stepped up in ways that I never anticipated. She is so close with my daughter- they have a special bond that I know will continue to grow and blossom. And I am eager to see her relationship form and strengthen with my son, too. The women in our lives... sister wives, sister mothers, sisters, mothers, daughters. Where would we be without them?

6 comments:

darsden said...

no I haven't seen that show. But I love all my womens I could not get along without any of them. :-)

C. Beth said...

I totally laughed when I saw the title of this post...and the post was awesome! Love it!

Mrs4444 said...

No kidding. My sister was here for Kyle's birthday and happened to be alone (her boys were with their dad and her hubs had to work). It was really nice to have her all to ourselves, just like back in the day (she's the youngest.) Kendall said, "She's my favorite auntie." Sweet.

Boozy Tooth said...

Liz,

Once again you and I are parallel lines. I am SUCH a Big Love fan.

First of all.... Bill Paxton in all his monotone glory, is such a beacon of LDS faith and at the same time, such a manipulative gangsta. I LOVE him. Barb is a pure of spirit but uptight First Wife. Nicki is an evil, devilish but somehow empathetic character, and Margene is a free-spirited ingenue. What a fabulous cast!!!! Mary Kay Place, Bruce Dern, and my favorite character - Grace Zabriskie who plays Bill's mother, Lois Henrickson.

What a fun show and what a great ensemble.

But as much as I love Big Love, my all time favorite show is Dexter. Wow. Just Wow. When Six Feet Under ended, I thought I had seen the end of Michael C. Hall. To my delight he is back with an even better series. Dexter is the best show on television. Do you know MCH just married his "sister" Debra Morgan (Jennifer Carpenter) in real life? Twisted... or is it?

Jason, as himself said...

I like Big Love, too. And from everything I can tell as a former Mormon and Utah resident, the show seems pretty darn accurate.

AND, did you know that I come from multiple generations of polygamy and that I am a direct descendent of Brigham Young, who had many wives and over 50 children? Well, I do. Aren't you glad I told you?

Eternal Lizdom said...

Jason- that is pretty freakin' awesome. In a freaky kinda way. You've come a long way, baby!

Alix- I LOVE DEXTER. 'Nuff said.