Friday, May 15, 2009

Siblings. Friends.

I mentioned in my earlier post today that Christy is about the closest thing I've come to having a sister. We even joke that I should just introduce her as my sister in casual interactions. We are really so very close... and I feel so blessed to have her. The piece that is missing is the history. The growing up memories. Christy has a brother that she grew up with... and their relationship was a major influence on my accepting my pregnancy with Zach. They are friends and they have this history together, common memories and experiences. That is so very special! I love watching my kids together. I love watching them play and even seeing how they fight. Recently, one of my brothers (he is 15 years younger than me so we didn't grow up together but are getting closer as the years go by) came for a visit. We did some juggling to find him a place to sleep and ended up moving Teagan to the twin bed in Zach's room. She's been asking to sleep in there ever since. So we let her fall asleep in her bed and then move her to Zach's room when we go to bed. Tonight, she wanted to fall asleep in his room. I made it clear- NO talking, NO getting up. Because if she wakes Zach... big trouble. Sidebar- they do nap in a common room at Lisa's. Teagan on a cot with the other kids and Zach in a crib thingee next to the other 2 younger toddlers/babies. We go to his room and I tell her I need to check on him first. I slip the door open... he's awake! Teagan hops into the twin bed, I give him a hug and rearrange his blanket and pillow and lovie. I hug Teagan. She kisses me. He's laying down, thumb in mouth. She's laying down, snuggled up in her blanket. I leave the room... there is silence. They take comfort in each other. In simply being together, being close. That warms my heart, comforts my soul. What a beautiful gift a sibling is. While they will grow up with their own set of shared memories, this is one night that I know will remain solidly in mine.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

How sweet. I sometimes wish Delainey had a sibling that is close in age to her. Luckily, her older brothers are so good with her. They are all here tonight and Delainey wants to have a slumber party with her brothers. Imagine, a 19 yr old and a 16 yr old having a slumber party with their 3 yr old sister!

Amy said...

I do love that my children have siblings, though I wish that Annie had a sister. My siblings and I have all gotten closer as the years have gone on.

Glad you are getting to enjoy watching this special bond develop between your kids.

Mrs4444 said...

That's beautiful. My two have only just recently become close, and we feel the same way; it's wonderful.

Alison said...

One of the best things about a sibling is having someone on this earth who truly understands how your parents can drive you crazy!! :P