Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Curing Hiccups

There are lots of cures out there that are supposed to alleviate the ridiculous burden of having hiccups.



Swallow a spoonful of sugar or honey.

Stand on your head and drink water.

Control your breathing- swallow air or breath in a figure 8.

One friend insists that telling someone to "Hiccup right NOW!" is a cure.

None of those have ever worked for me.

Then there is that whole "have someone scare you" thing.

Many have tried but it's never worked.

Apparently the scare just wasn't big enough.

Sunday morning, I was getting dressed and a huge case of hiccups hit.  Jeff was being lazy in bed, not wanting to really start the day yet.  My hiccups were interrupting the flow of conversation and creating quite the bit of entertainment as I got myself ready for the day.

I sat on the bed.

Suddenly, Jeff sat up, grabbed me, and yelled.

I almost wet the bed.

But my hiccups were, in fact, gone.

But I think next time... I'd prefer to just deal with the hiccups.

Photobucket

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Breathe into a paper lunch sack for about a minute. That seems to help.

Nej said...

I have a cure, but it can only be used once per hiccuper. Some day when you have them, call me. Won't work in the written word. :-)

Eternal Lizdom said...

I think I'm now mildly terrified.

Rebecca said...

Muscle spasms in the diaphragm muscle cause hiccups. So any muscle relaxing medication or sometimes even an noninflammatory drug sometimes works.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Rude! But funny!

One time I had the hiccups and my brother told me to hold my breath until he told me to let it go. So I held it. And held it. And held it until I was practically turning blue. I let it out in a huff and said, "You tricked me!" To which he replied, "Do you still have the hiccups?" And by golly, they were gone.

Irv the Nerve said...

When I have hiccups, I take a sip of Angostura Aromatic Bitters. Works every time.

Garret said...

That's funny!

Anonymous said...

Spoonful of peanut butter. Works every time.