Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Things I'd Like To Have

A meal at Scotty's Lakehouse. Scotty's restaurants focus on organic and local food for as much of the menu as possible. And the food is GOOD! Books on Eating Clean. A magazine subscription to Clean Eating. To run further than a mile OR to hit the 20 minute length in a run. New pants. In this new smaller size. Cuz my size 16's are almost falling off of me! *** I sat on this post for over an hour, trying to think of fun things to list as things I want... I don't have much. I still want that specific clean eating book- but I also just won a book on a FitCity Indy Twitter chat! It's "Back to Basics" by April Adams. And my trainer, Bridget, loaned me "Eat This and Live!" by Dr. Don Colbert. So I'm covered on healthy books for a while. I have to say that life is mighty peaceful when I'm not focused on what I want next... on what thing I think will make me happy... I mean, if someone handed me $1000 and told me to go spend it, I would certainly be able to do so! But I'm not aching for things that I think I'm lacking. I also notice that when I am not distracted by wanting things, I have a lot more awareness of the amazing little blessings and accomplishments already in my life. For example... I just put on my wedding band and engagement ring for the first time in over a year. My fingers were too fat before now. The gym went out and bought larger towels. When Christy and I finally headed back to the gym back in January, a new towel policy was in place. One towel is free, there is a nominal charge for using a second towel. I grumbled because the towels are small and not fluffy so I "need" one for my body and one for my hair. I grumbled because the towels were too small and barely fit around my body when I dashed from shower to toilet stall. Now... the towels suddenly seem so much bigger! I bought size large workout clothes to celebrate my Race for the Cure. I took them to the gym Monday- without trying them on. I bought size L because I knew I could shrink into them in a few weeks. So I kicked myself when I got to the gym and realized that I had grabbed clothes that most likely would be too tight. With a very familiar dread, I stepped into the pants and started to pull up and... they FIT! The shirt FIT. I was shocked and so pleased! My husband is handy with household projects- but also likes to cook. He doesn't do full meals. But on Monday, he cooked a pork tenderloin and a rump roast. And they were tasty. And now I don't have to do major cooking this week- just a side and a veggie and/or fruit each evening. We got done with dinner early enough last night that we got to take a walk around the block! Gratitude is such an important part of living. In church on Sunday, one thing that stayed with me from the sermon was that the best way to form a bond with someone or to strengthen a bond with someone is to thank them. Having a hard time with someone at work? Thank them, sincerely for something. Want to feel closer to your spouse? Thank them, sincerely, for something. If you want to be content... if you want to be happy... if you want to experience joy... gratitude is the place to start. What are you grateful for today? Photobucket

21 comments:

Garret said...

But I don't feel like saying anything...

Eternal Lizdom said...

But you said something anyway...

:)

Garret said...

Should I delete it?

Lola said...

There is not enough room in the comment field to say all that I am thankful for. But if I have to choose ONE for today- I am thankful for a husband who is so supportive, respectful and helpful. He goes above and beyond his share of duties in our house (and with the kids) to help me make time to reach my fitness and health goals. He is the epitome of a great life partner. Love doesn't even accurately express what I feel for him- it is so much more than that.
~Emily

CH_BeBestMe said...

Ditta what Lola said for me too. Then add a side of thankfullness for healthy kids.

I agree, Liz, gratitude is a great place to start and it DOES make a bond stronger. I try hard to never take my family for granted and make sure they know how much I appreciate them.

Joanie said...

LOL at Garret's comments!

I commend you on your journey to fitness. I seem to be running in the wrong direction. I think I need to get back on anti-depressants. At least when I'm on them, I get up and do things. Right now, I sit on my ever-expanding butt and eat.

Teacher Tom said...

What a great post Liz! Inspiring. Way to go!

Life isn't about getting the things we want. It's about working for them!

Lola said...

by the way- I subbed to Clean Eating mag at the end of March (still waiting on first issue). I'd be happy to share them with you if you'd like to get an idea if you like it or not first. let me know!

Eternal Lizdom said...

@Lola- yes, please!!

@Garret No, don't delete it. Then it lowers the number of comments on the post. In fact, feel free to leave more little fragments on any post... I'd be so GRATEFUL! :)

@Carol It's funny- I can more easily thank people I don't know well. It's more intimate to thank people close to you. But once you start, it's easy!

@Joanie You will find that motivation. It takes a click- something will lock it in for you. Maybe looking into eating fresh food (loading up on fruits and veggies) as a healthy eating plan for John will get you started?

@Tom Thanks. There is work involved. I also think it's important to stop looking for what you don't have and really appreciate the things you've already got around you!

Garret said...

I

Garret said...

think

Garret said...

Liz

Garret said...

is

Garret said...

a

Garret said...

comment

Karen M. Peterson said...

Such a great post, Liz.

I know there are a lot of things I'd like to have, but when I dwell on them, I forget to be grateful for what I've already got.

And congratulations on your success! You are inspiring me, my friend!

Kori said...

Too many to list, but one of hte big things in AA is to be grateful, and it totally does change your life. I mean ,we all have our days becuase life is life and we are human, but gratitude is a huge one.

Congrats on your sucess; awesome.

Alison said...

Liz, are you grateful for Garret?

I wrote a post a looooong time ago with a wish list--lots of things like extra vacation days, family moving closer, etc. I might go back to find it and see if I've managed to get any of that stuff. After all, in the past 12 months I have gotten a second job, a new stove, and a chance to travel to Chicago AND New York.

Mostly, though, I'm grateful for Miss Chef. And I do let her know just about every day.

Anonymous said...

Post this for FGF! This is great!

I hate how our society is so into newer - better- different BUY BUY BUY!

I have always said that life won't change much if I won the lottery. Yes i would get a new house. It will never buy me time or make me be less picky with clothes.

I still won't like them if I have $100 or a million to spend!

It feels great to not to want. I try to teach this to Emily. To be happy with what you have or you will always be wanting more.

YAY for the clothes thing. It is a big deal! When I was losing the baby weight I purposely put on tighter clothes to watch them loosen up and to remind me of my goals!

Katherine said...

I read a quote that the moment you stop and ask yourself if you are happy, then you cease being so. That has come to be very true. I've stopped thinking about all the things I want, and am enjoying the things I have.

Although clothing a size smaller would be nice!

C. Beth said...

Love this. :)

I am thankful that I saw an old friend today (who I hadn't seen since I was a mom of only 1 kid) and he asked how I'd kept my "girlish figure" with two kids...and I was able to share my enthusiasm for running with him. :)