Wednesday, February 11, 2015

He Held Me

On Monday, I posted a letter to God. A prayer.  I was hurting and overwhelmed and frustrated.

Throughout that day, God reminded me that He was holding me. And that He is embracing all of those people in my life that ar ehurting or scared or struggling.

It took most of the day to realize that He was reaching out to remind me.

I love to sing. I love worship music and I love to lead people to come closer to Christ thorugh music.

However, I don't listen to music on the radio as often as I used to - mostly because I just don't have much time to have the radio on. In the car, I'm often on the phone or listening to an audio book or just enjoying silence and prayer time.

Yesterday, I ended up being in the car more often and I ended up listening to the radio more often.  In addition, I had popped over to YouTube to look something up and there were some music video recommendations for me.

At the end of the day, as a song played on the radio, it hit me. Many of the songs that I'd been hearing were precisely about God being with us. Always. That we are never alone.

You might think... well, don't all Christian songs have that theme? Actually, no. Some songs are about how we love God and some are about how God loves us. Some are just joyful celebrations. Some are specific responses to grief or hardships. There is a huge variety of praise music on the airwaves these days. But yesterday, each time I heard a song or found a song, it related specifically to being reminded that I am never alone.




When I walk through deep waters
I know that you will be with me
When I'm standing in the fire
I will not be overcome
Through the valley of the shadow
Oh I will not fear

I am not alone
I am not alone
You will go before me
You will never leave me

In the midst of deep sorrow
I see your light is breaking through
The dark night will not over take me
I am pressing into you
Lord you fight my every battle
And I will not fear




You were singing in the dark
Whispering Your promise
Even when I could not hear
I was held in Your arms
Carried for a thousand miles to show
Not for a moment did You forsake me

After all You are constant
After all You are only good
After all You are sovereign
Not for a moment will You forsake me
Not for a moment will You forsake me

And every step every breath you are there
Every tear every cry every prayer
In my hurt at my worst
When my world falls down
Not for a moment will You forsake me
Even in the dark
Even when it's hard
You will never leave me
After all



Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far weve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much Youve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful


Our prayers are always answered. Not always right away, not always the way we want them to be. But when you open the lines of communication... those lines stay open. We have to be willing to listen. We have to be willing to observe. To be open in return. Answers come in music, in Scripture, in church, through friends.


sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

No comments: