Friday, January 7, 2011

Training

I shared earlier this week that I am recommitting to my Healthier Me path. I also wrote this week on FitCity about looking back over the past year and seeing where I started and where I am now. One thing I realized was that at the start of my journey, I was hesitant to really write about what I was doing and how it was going. I was uncomfortable talking about attempts at being healthier- most likely because I wouldn't want to read those things if I ended up failing.

This time, I do want to have a better record of what I do and how I'm feeling about it.

Food as Fuel My diet has been pretty good this week. Not perfect. But pretty good. I've eaten things like cottage cheese, unsweetened applesauce, whole wheat english muffin with almond butter or nutella, grapefruit, cantaloupe, turkey burgers, salad, broccoli slaw, spaghetti squash, coffee with creamer, popcorn, animal crackers, Vitatop vitamin muffin, green beans, chicken. My indulgences were pizza at church on Wednesday and a couple pieces of candy in a moment of weakness on Tuesday night. Need to improve: The night time snacking is my biggest struggle right now. Once the kids go to bed, I want to mindlessly eat. I've turned to popcorn most nights and I'm ok with that as a choice. I just want to work through the behavior so that I only snack occassionally and only eat if I'm actually hungry.

Consistent, Daily Activity I've been to the gym every day this week. I have a spreadsheet I'm keeping of my workouts- I have a schedule to help me feel stronger in a 5K and to do the training required for preparing to run 13.1 miles in May. On Monday, I did the first Couch to 5K workout. I felt pretty strong throughout but was getting tired by the end. There was definite improvement from my first time doing it- I went 2 miles with the workout this time and I know I was a lot slower a year ago. Tuesday was Boot Camp. A typical class might be just me and Christy. Tuesday, we had 8 people there! It was great! We did a circuit training thing that had stations you went to- things like step ups with weights, chest press, wall sits, cardio work. Wednesday I did the Couch to 5K week 2 workout. The only reason why I'm not doing the plan as it is laid out is because I already have gone through the program, I'm already running consistenly, and I'm short on time. Week 2 workout was a bit more of a challenge by the end and I'm debating repeating it once before moving on to week 3. I'll decide when I get to the gym, most likely. Thursday was Boot Camp- fewer people this time but the workout felt more intense. Bridget had us in constant motion- not as many chances to stop for rest or water. It was great! Oh- both classes had good ab routines and my abs are feeling it today. I'll be running today and I plan to go outside to run tomorrow, provided the weather cooperates. Need to improve: I want to get more activity in the evenings. I think part of my success early on was that I would come home and do something active with my kids. I'm making it a goal to dust off Just Dance this weekend and get the controllers charged up so we can play.

Support from friends, supporting my friends I've signed up with FitCity for the new Fit Friends program they're doing. It launches January 17. By signing up, you get a little guide with tips on how to be a Fit Friend. There will be weekly video tips. You will get activity suggestions and ideas. Bottom line is that by signing up, you commit to supporting others in this effort and also accepting support and encouragment. Christy is my main Fit Friend since we hit the gym together each day during the work week and we talk about running and form and workouts. I have other friends in my life that I count on for fitness support- like Emily, Beth, Lori, Ashli, Carol, and several others.

 So that's where I am this week. How about you? What healthier choices did you make this week?

  Photobucket

3 comments:

Joanie said...

You are doing so well!!! It's so much easier to get up and do things in the evening when it's summertime and dark happens around 9 pm. Good idea on the Wii dance games!

Unknown said...

Good job! Keep pushing through. I am back to using my Body Bugg, more specifically, logging my food. I'm trying to eat a lot healthier and get back to what I know works so that I can drop those last 30 pounds or so.

Garret said...

I think we all need to see some video of you "Just Dance"ing. :-)

I'm going back to Weight Watchers shortly!