Wednesday, January 5, 2011

FitCity: Then and Now


You can find me at FitCity- if you haven't already.
Please swing by and leave some encouragement- or find motivation!!


*****

I’m one of those anti-resolution types.  I guess I just figure that I don’t know what’s going to happen in the year ahead so how can I possibly set plans in place to make major changes when I don’t know what each day will bring?  I also believe I am striving to do my best in all circumstances each day so change is a constant and not something that Jan 1 has any power over.

But I do like to look back over the past year and see what changes and improvements I’ve made.  I like to see how my kids have grown and what my job was like a year ago versus now and what types of things my husband and I were up to back then.

Typically, year to year is pretty basic for me.  My kids get bigger and my relationships generally grow stronger. 

But 2010 was a year of some pretty major changes for me.

I’m glad I keep a personal blog because I’m seeing a nice timeline of where I was then and where I am now.

My attitude at the end of 2009 wasn’t bad.  I’ve had a positive self-image and been confident in my skin for years.  I knew I was fat but I was fine with it.  I knew I was unhealthy and I knew I needed to make changes but I figured I’d get to it when the time was right.  I started thinking about the changes I needed to make but was afraid to face when and my fellow FitCity Mom Blogger, Amy, posted about Fear

But my big wake up call came from a TV show.

January 5, 2010   I posted on my blog about an epiphany I had about my weight and lifestyle while I was watching an episode of Desperate Housewives.  Something about the “Fat Susan” storyline really hit home for me- something about eating to stuff down emotions.  I’d never thought of myself as much of an emotional eater but something about the way the writers phrased her reasons for eating made it click for me.  I didn’t change overnight because of the show- but it got me seriously thinking about the changes I needed to make.

January 12, 2010  I was excited to have started using my Wii Fit Plus.  I’d had the Wii Fit for about a year and the Plus had been a Christmas gift.  It took a lot of courage to get back on that board and see where my weight was.  I had gotten back into a gym routine and was adding the Wii Fit Plus as part of my increased activity.

Over the next month, a lot changed.  I was asked to join the Mom Blogger team here at FitCity.  My introductory post was on February 4.  On February 27, I did my first Couch to 5K workout. 

It’s been 10 months since that first workout.  In those 10 months, I’ve completed several 5K events.   I’ve logged a total of 150 miles run in 2010 and have a goal to run a total of 500 miles in 12 months.  I’ve got a training plan to prepare me to run a half marathon and am registered to run the training races and the Mini Marathon.  That blows my mind.  I’ve played Just Dance with my kids, I’ve gone to Zumba classes, I’ve gone to the gym 5 days a week, I’ve changed my diet to include loads of fruits and veggies.  I run outside, I run on a treadmill, I lift weights, I look for and try new workouts. 

I wish I could tell you how much weight I’ve lost- somewhere around 30 pounds, I think.  I lost some, I gained some- some changes due to food choices and some due to increased weight training.  It hasn’t been an easy 10 months.  I’ve struggled and gone off course and gotten back to it.  But it’s been different because I’ve always wanted to get back on course and I’ve always found a way to get there.   My goal hasn’t been the number on the scale- it’s truly about changing how I live, how I feel, and what I can do with my body.

A little over a year ago, I was satisfied with how I looked and my state of health- but I didn’t know how much better it could be.  Today, I know how much better I can feel.  Today, I can feel muscles in my arms and legs.  Today, I can see my clearer skin and appreciate, deeply, that my periods are less difficult when I’m on my healthier course.  Today, I can see a smaller number in my clothing size.  Today, I can talk about wanting to go out and run.  Today, I can go out and run. 

Funny how a year can change things.  How about you?  What’s stopping you from feeling better, stronger?  Where will you be one year from now?  Will you look back and be amazed at the changes?  Or will you look back and wonder why the year was just the same as it always is?


Photobucket