Saturday, December 1, 2007

Goodbye, Ginger

Prior to blogging, I kept a message board to keep up with friends and family through pregnancy and mommyhood.  I'm working on bringing those posts to this blog. 

[image]

My Ginger is gone.

She hadn't been herself for a few days. Sometimes not eating, seeming to maybe be in pain, sometimes having trouble with her legs. 

This morning, I got up with Zach at 3. Changed him, nursed. Ginger got up- very odd for her- and came out to the living room. Her back legs seemed to give out and she kind of fell to the floor. Couldn't get up after that. Labored breathing, swollen stomach.

I took her to the hospital and the vet diagnosed a flipped stomach. Surgery was an option but there was only a 50% chance it would work and there was a risk that it could actually end up being fatal.

I called Jeff and we discussed the options... really, there was only one option...

Ginger's gone. My beautiful girl. The most gentle and patient dog I've ever known. 

I know we made the right choice. She led a good, happy, full life (she was almost 9 years old). She was in pain today. I'm so sad to have to let her go but feel so blessed that we didn't have to go through her deterioration into old age or watch her wither away with a disease. 

I had no idea what to say to Teagan when she woke up today. We sat down and I told her that Ginger's body stopped working and that we wouldn't have a Ginger anymore. I know she doesn't understand. But she was sad and said "but I need her" several times. I'm guessing she will ask about her over the next few days or so... and I am sad to think that Teagan may not have strong memories of her own of Ginger. But we have lots of pictures and will keep her memory alive that way.

Goodbye, my beautiful girl. I'll see you at the Rainbow Bridge...

Photobucket

No comments: