Saturday, October 3, 2009

Date Night

Jeff and I had a lovely date night last night!! Zach did awesome with being at Teagan's school. He ran right in and made himself right at home. When we went to leave, he whined for a split second until Ms Tori reminded him that the kids were all headed down the hallway to Ms Sally's room to visit Spidey- the pet tarantula. *shiver* The kids love Spidey- and Zach did, too, because that is all he talked about on the way home! Anyway, off he went with Big Sis and Ms Tori and off we went on our date! We drove around a bit to see what was near the school- and didn't find anything of interest. So we headed up to Hamilton Town Center (one of those "outdoor malls"). Jeff took charge (I love love love it when he does that) and decided we would eat at a place he'd been to once before. He said that when he ate there, he knew it was totally the kind of place I would love. It totally isn't the kind of place he would love- too many sauces and ingredients for his plain palate. But he wanted me to experience it. Stone Creek Dining Company It was soooo yummy. We started with an appetizer- Chimichurri Beef. A red tortilla shell filled with chopped tomato and avocado (I got that all to myself), skewers of chimichurri beef, some sort of buttery sauce on the plate. For dinner, Jeff had Parmesan Chicken and I had the Mustard Crusted Chicken. From the menu: "Pan seared with asparagus, caramelized onions, artichokes, portabello mushrooms. Served atop garlic mashed potatoes and finished with gorgonzola, pecans and rosemary cream." It was heavenly!! I couldn't eat all of it- we each brought home half of our food. Oh! And they serve this homemade bread with some sort of herbs on it and a house specialty dipping oil- olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a hint of jalapeno, dried roasted red pepper, kosher salt. So yummy!! After dinner, we strolled around the shopping center. In all honesty, we rolled our eyes a lot at the stores. We just don't do mall shopping or buy mall clothing. Aeropostale, Holister, Victoria's Secret... none of it means anything to us. I did guffaw when I saw a mom going into Victoria's Secret with a little girl who looked to be around 10 years old. Sooooo many things I could say on that one. Ir hurts my heart and stomach... but anyway... We had a destination- Borders. Back when we were "dating," one of our favorite things to do was get hot chocolate and peruse a bookstore. We would look at some things together... wander away from each other for our own sections... meet back up at look at magazines... Getting to do that again last night was so nice! Then we headed back to the car, relaxed, holding hands. Got the kids (Teagan was exhausted and very ready to go home; Zach would have happily stayed another hour but was also happy to head home to bed). Home to bed (Zach was happy to get into bed... Teagan was past that point and had a complete meltdown). A much needed night out... We almost didn't do it. We almost skipped it. And even when we went for it, it was more to support this new program at the school and less about taking a night for us. We've been crabbier with each other lately. We've been not working together. We've been snipping and snapping. Not fighting... but not really being our normally contented selves. The school is offering this every month. I doubt we will do it every month. But I know this was a good reminder of how important it is to get out together, to hold hands, to be with each other. Good thing God knows to put people in our path who can be wise for us when we need it most!

11 comments:

Crazee Juls said...

That's awesome that he took charge and took you to a place he knew you would enjoy. I'm glad you had a great night, you're right..spending time "alone" together is very important~

Teacher Tom said...

Perfect!

Mrs4444 said...

Sounds wonderful. Mark and I are planning a romantic dinner for tonight; it smells divine! Kids are at Homecoming. You're right; you've got to take advantage of these opportunities when you can :)

Heather said...

YUMMMM, I LOVE that place! And actually, I really like Hamilton Towne Center-- I think the layout is nice, and they have a lot to offer-- WAAAAAAY better than Clay Terrace! I'm glad that you guys had a great night, and enjoyed yourselves!

Alison said...

You so should do this every month. One of Miss Chef's resolutions every year is to go on a Real Date once a month. And we do. I know, sometimes it won't work, but I really believe in making that a priority...just like everything else, right?

Besides, Zach needs his Spidey time!

Amy said...

Sounds wonderful. We do the bookstore date night thing too. Need to think of what to do on our date night next week. It's our wedding anniversary, so might have to make it really special. Wonder if the Naptown Roller Girls are playing?

Lori D said...

That was awesome! My spouse and I have so little precious time together anymore, for years we welcome even a trip together to Wal-Mart or Costco is considered a date. Appreciate every little moment you can. That's what life is about.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm so glad you got to get out for the evening. It's important to spend some time together! Helps remember why you like each other!

You should know better said...

"I did guffaw when I saw a mom going into Victoria's Secret with a little girl who looked to be around 10 years old. Sooooo many things I could say on that one. Ir hurts my heart and stomach... but anyway..."

Judgmental much?

Jeff said...

Gutless much? Stay in your little would of anonymity, much?

FIGHTER said...

whats wrong with protecting the mind and heart of a 10 year old...nothing....they are not little women..they are children...simple....:)