Saturday, February 12, 2011

500 Festival Training Series 5K

It was sunny. I forgot my sunglasses.

It was chilly but not as cold as I was dressed for- except in the not sunny stretches. Those were definitely cold.

I think I ran it about the same time as I ran the Monumental back in October. My official time then was 42:22 and based on gun time (official time will be my chip time), I might be right around the same time.

I improved in terms of pace. It felt more steady and consistent.

Christy and I ran together the entire time. A couple of times I told her she could go ahead but she stayed with me. This is new for us- I think we mutually need each other (even though I'm pretty sure I need her more than she needs me).

My friends Ashli and Emily ran together and did well- finishing about 6-8 minutes before us. Best part of being a penguin is that you have people cheering for you at the end!

Since this is a training race for the big event in May, I think there were a good amount of first timers there. One of the main things I would want newbies to know about running an official event is that if you are walking or you know you are a slow runner, go to the BACK of the pack. There is no shame in starting there and you'll feel great passing people if you're faster than you think you are. Also, if you find yourself getting passed a lot, please move to the right so you stay out of the way of the people running. Finally, groups of runners shouldn't block paths, stop to tie shoes or adjust equipment, or otherwise impede the entire pack!

There was a race volunteer that I loved. I think she was a security guard for the campus we ran through and I think she was blocking traffic on the race route. She was the BEST cheerleader and was so full of energy and pep that she really gave me a much needed boost in that last mile!

All in all, a good event. This one was weird for me because I had no pre-race jitters. In fact, I kept forgetting I had a race today. But having done the event today, I'm feelin a little apprehensive about training for longer distances and am feeling unprepared for a 10K in just a month. By Monday, I'll be back in gear and ready to dig in and go after those longer runs.

13.1... Here I come!!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Garret said...

Do run run run, do run run run.

C. Beth said...

Great job!! Did you use the new Merrells? I'm so curious to hear how you liked them. I'm planning on trying them on at some point.

It's so natural to think "I couldn't go TWICE this distance!" But I'm going to copy and paste something I told 2 other friends on DailyMile recently:

You just CAN'T think of it in that way. Case in point--at the end of a 5 mile run, I rarely if ever feel like I could just keep going for 8 more miles. Even if you don't realize it, you are psychologically AND physically pacing yourself differently as you run further. Increasing mileage is occasionally really difficult, but most of the time it's actually easier than you expect. You slow down, take walk breaks if necessary, and you just do it!!

So don't worry about the next distance. Just keep going--you're doing great!!

Beth Zimmerman said...

You're doing AWESOME! I'm trying to dredge up the energy to walk around the block! Pathetic, I know, but it's a beginning!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Good for you girl, you should be proud of yourself. You go girl!!!

God bless ya and have a beautiful weekend sweetie!!!

Dillypoo said...

Congratulations! I'm running my first 10K in two weeks, and I start freaking out every time I think about it. I'm just focusing on the run in front of me as I build to it!

Go Penguins! You should get some black and white running gear for your next race. :-)

Mrs4444 said...

Way to go, Liz! I'm impressed!! Congratulations :)

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm running a 5k in three weeks. I thought it was 2 weeks, but discovered this morning that I have a few extra days.

That doesn't change the fact that I'm nervous about it.