Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Roller Derby! #RCRebelAlliance

I took the kids to the Roller Derby this weekend and we had a blast!  It was a little slow going but as they caught on, they ended up having a blast!

Race City Rebels is a men's roller derby team for Indianapolis.  I will not pretend to speak roller derby.  I didn't grow up watching it.  Before this past weekend, I'd only gone once before on a date night with Jeff.

Here is what makes it family friendly:

- Kids 10 and under are free.
- The concession stand is not a rip off and is not crazy overpriced.
- Kids can line up to high five the team during announcements.
- No one there is expecting kids to be perfectly behaved.
- Roller derby isn't just about skating and slamming into people.  I loved watching the kids pick up on the strategy of the game.

Here is where some families might find it less than ideal:

- Some of the player's names might make you blush.
- Some folks have a potty mouth during the bout.
- Halftime means a smoke break for the majority of those coming to watch.
- They sell beer.

Now, none of those things impact my choice to take my kids or not.  I'm fine with my kids seeing adults smoke because we talk openly about it being a bad idea.  I'm fine with my kids hearing bad words - we ignore it or just talk about it not being the best choice.  I'm fine with the player's names - the vast majority are fine and the few that may be questionable will most likely go over a kid's head anyway.  My kids see me drink so serving beer doesn't bother me.  And we didn't see anyone being stupid about it.

Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door.  For me, that would have meant just 1 ticket since I had 3 kids with me who were under age 10!  And they made up for it with the 3 trips to the concessions stand.  But I didn't mind since it was fairly priced.  First trip we got supreme nachos for me (chips, meat, cheese sauce, jalapenos, sour cream - I couldn't finish it, it was huge), walking tacos for Teagan and her friend (bag of fritos, meat, cheese, sour cream), and regular nachos for Zach (chips, cheese sauce to dip into).  Then 2 bottles of gatorade and 2 bottles of water.  And it was just under $20.  Later, the kids hit the stand for candy and later again for 2 soft pretzels ($5).

The Forum in Fishers hosts the Race City Rebels and also the Circle City Derby Girls.

The upcoming schedule for home bouts for the Race City Rebels:
6/7 - Capitol City Hooligans
7/12 - Jerk City All-Stars
8/9 - St. Louis B-Keepers

The upcoming schedule for  home bouts for the Circle City Derby Girls (Tickets are still $10 presale, $12 at the door.  Kids age 6 and under are free.)
  • June 14th
  • July 19th
  • August 2nd
Katniss Evermean

Brad Religion

Jammer for the Race City Rebels working his way past the opposing team.
I was provided with free admission to this event.  All opinions are my own.


sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

1 comment:

Katherine said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. I know we have a local Roller Derby scene; I really should look into it.