Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Look Up

It was a spur of the moment status update.  I hadn't really thought it out.  It was on my heart due to some inconsistent things I was seeing other people doing- big things, small things.  

When you make choices, you must also take the consequences. Period. Every choice you make has consequences. If you don't like the outcome, try changing what you're choosing. If you can't or won't make changes, stop complaining or change your perspective.

It was well received and even shared into other status updates.  

It's something that I thought applied to most anything.  For me, for example, it applies to my current health state.  I haven't been exercising or making healthy food choices.  At all.  The foundational reason is the increased stress related to a lot of things right now.  But choosing to respond to that stress with food?  My choice.  Choosing to sit on my very tired butt to watch TV at night is my choice (I could march in place or do something active while getting my fill of Wil and Jeffrey and Gene and Janelle and other Glass Big Brother House contestants).  I have legit reasons and changes in my life- my lunch hour is truly a non-existent thing now.  I am swamped all day long and leave work emotionally spent many days of the week.  But I'm still making choices.

I wrote it because of what I was seeing in other people.  But it really was something that triggered some deep thinking in me, for me.

Change your perspective.  That was the hardest part for me to write.  Because it's what I've been doing.  Or been trying to do.  Change my perspective.  And I've been complaining.  It's not something that is going to instantly change.  But sometimes I remember to change my perspective literally and look up.


And I notice things are bigger than me.


It's easy to get caught up in the stress, in life, in the muddles conversations in my head, in the Big Choices I am currently facing or seeking to face...

But there is also a bigger plan.  And I have to have faith that all the stress and questioning and discomfort right now is going to lead to something, some purpose, some lesson, or maybe just a bunch of lessons along the way.

If you're like me and you've been feeling stressed and overwhelmed and haven't made great choices or haven't thought through to the potential consequences of your choices or feel like you just don't even know what your choices might be...

Look Up.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! It is so true we all have a tendency to point out the poor choices of others without taking a good look at our own poor choices.

Katherine said...

We actually just had a big family discussion last night about the saying "Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." We talked about how we all have our own flaws and should work on those instead of pointing out weaknesses in other people.

This is a great post.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I liked that status and I love that you expanded it into an entire post. It's sometimes hard to change our perspective, but it almost always makes me feel better.

mimbles said...

Sometimes when I arrive home from my Thursday night singing lessons I stand at the start of the path to our front door to look up at the night sky for a while before going inside. It's dark enough in our little cul-de-sac for there to be quite a few stars on a clear night and I can usually spot a planet or two. It never fails to make me feel both uplifted and more firmly grounded.