Monday, June 30, 2014

I Run 4 Scarlett

A few months ago, I learned of a running group on Facebook called "I Run for Michael."

You can learn all about IR4 at this link.  Go on and go read it.  Check out the website.  The basic premise is that the group links up an able bodied and active person with someone who has some sort of special needs (child or adult).

The waiting list to be paired up is LONG.  I wasn't sure my name would ever come up!  And then, while I was away at church camp, I got the email telling me that I'd been matched!

Now, I run/move for Scarlett.  Check out this video to learn more about her and her beautiful family.


See?  They are beautiful!!  So real and so compassionate.  What a road they are on... and if I can be even a tiny part of helping to inspire Scarlett or helping to motivate Rachel (her mom) to take another step in a day, I'm IN.

I already told Rachel... I'm not a half marathoner or a marathoner or an ultra marathoner.  I'm just a regular old mom who does make efforts to be active.

I'm committing to doing 5K events in Scarlett's honor for the rest of the year.  I'm going to look for monthly events when I can and I'm going to figure out something special to do for Scarlett when I'm at Disney in a couple of months.

I can't make her better.  I don't live nearby so I can't make them dinner.  I can't offer to babysit.  And there are so many families in the world who have needs like this.  But one thing I can do is offer what I do have - my healthy enough self that can be active, even when I don't want to be.



IR4 Scarlett.  I'm going to Disney it all up for her as often as I can, in as many active ways as I can.

If you'd like to be part of Scarlett's journey, leave me ideas of fun ways to include her in my activities!  You can also make a donation towards a very special project in Scarlett's family right now on GoFundMe.



sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

No comments: