Thursday, December 31, 2009

Adieu, 2009!

It's the end of the year as we know it...
It's the end of the year as we know it...
It's the end of the year as we know it...
And I feel fiiiiine....
Last year, I wrote about my thoughts on the whole New Year, resolutions, looking back, moving forward stuff.
This year, over on the local mommy board that I'm part of, someone posted the question- "Where do you want to be at this time next year?" Instead of making resolutions, the idea is to focus on the outcome and not the process of change, right? So people are listing "I'll be in a house that we own" or "We'll be free from credit card debt" or "I'll be done with my first semester back to school." All great goals. I admire the folks who step up and have goals and take charge, take action to make them happen.
What was my answer?

I don't have an answer... because I'm so content with my life. Yes, there are areas that are in a constant state of improving or needing improvement.

Y'know... I've lived a hellish childhood and beyond turbulent adolescence. So I deeply value and appreciate the normalcy of my life.

So a year from now? I hope I'm just blessed with more of the same that I have now.

I think that's pretty true to what I said last year! I am consistent, if nothing else. But I like that my philosophy has remained the same.

We are going to go out and celebrate tonight. Jeff, kids and I will head downtown to the Indiana State Museum for the Family New Year's Eve celebration.

Ring in the New Year at 8 p.m. with a balloon drop! The popular band The Tides returns with their special brand of musical magic, and the Santa Claus Express will carry passengers for the last rides of the year until closing at 9 p.m. Other activities include face painting, clowns, hands-on crafts and children’s games.

Doesn't that sound fun?? I think the kids will have a blast. Then we can come home, get the kids to bed, have some time to ourselves... and hit the sheets to be sound asleep before midnight. A little sleeping in Friday morning would be a great way to ring in the New Year... but I'm not holding my breath.

For those who have big adventures and hopes for the new year, I wish you well and I hope that the hard work you put into your new ventures pays off the way you hope it will. I know people hoping for babies, starting new jobs in new cities, looking for employment, wanting to buy their first home, seeking healing and peace, and more.

This time last year, I was at home, cleaning out bedrooms and transitioning my kids to new bedroom situations. Teagan's room was rearranged for her dollhouse. Zach's room was set up to start utilizing his "big boy bed." I was still nursing my boy. I do wish I had that house cleaning time at home this year- maybe this weekend. My boy had just turned 1. My girl hadn't yet started school- we hadn't even decided on a plan that included school yet!

I guess that's part of why I don't focus on goals or resolutions or whatever. God's got my path covered. I make the best choices I can and handle stuff as it comes. Life will take me where it takes me.

So here's to 2010! Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Teacher Tom said...

Happy New Year!

I resolve to keep reading. =)

Cajoh said...

I like the idea of trying to figure where you will be a year from now.

I haven't been out for new years in years. Lately we've had a simple celebration with finger food and watching movies until around midnight, then having the countdown and going to bed.

Mrs4444 said...

I feel the same way, though I think our temperaments make it easier for us to just see what happens and not worry about it. Love your new page, BTW. Happy New Year!

michelle said...

happy new year!

debi9kids said...

How wonderful to feel so content with life. Good for you and happy new year!