Wednesday, December 30, 2009

WWW: Accomplishments

Accomplishment. As defined by dictionary.com:
an act or instance of carrying into effect; fulfillment
something done admirably or creditably
Accomplishment.
Francis Wayland It is by what we ourselves have done, and not by what others have done for us, that we shall be remembered in after ages.
Vince Lombardi It is time for us to stand and cheer for the doer, the achiever, the one who recognizes the challenge and does something about it.
Accomplishment.
I found the definition and quotes to be what I expected when I sat down to think about my accomplishments. What I didn't expect were the synonyms. Because they don't all fit into my personal definition...
1. completion, execution. 3. consummation. 4. acquisition, proficiency.
Those come from dictionary.com and fit nicely with my definition of accomplishment. But then I clicked over to the thesaurus on reference.com and words like "talent" and "performance" and "effort" were given as synonyms. Talent? Performance? Effort?
For me, an accomplishment as to include effort and work on my part. Talent can be effortless. Performance can be effortless. Effort? That's what gets you to the accomplishment but it isn't the accomplishment itself.
So as 2009 comes to a close, I have to wonder about my own personal accomplishments. What have I worked hard on, put a lot of effort into, and reaped rewards from?
Parenting. Yes, I struggle. No, I don't have all the answers. Yes, I have successes. No, I am not perfect. But I keep working to improve and there are a lot of things that I do really well with my kids and my family. But the accomplishment for me is that I am a parent, I am an engaged parent, I am actively parenting. So many people seem to take it for granted. I think that's why I like so many of the Mommy Blogs out there because it shows the invested parents, those trying to improve and do better and who take the job very seriously. I am proud of me as a mom.
Jan 4, 2010 marks my 10 year anniversary of my first day of employment with my current employer. I've worked in the same department, same bosses, same company. I've promoted up to my current position after starting as a temporary administrative assistant. I am proud of me as an employee.
My mental health. I've come from a dark, scary, bad place and my life is happy, normal. There isn't much more I can say about it... but if you are someone who is struggling, who is in a bad place, who isn't seeing the light... I know it's there. And if you need someone to pray for you or with you, my e-mail address is in my profile.
My relationship with my mom. See the previous paragraph. We've come down a difficult path together and where many wouldn't have a relationship one might have a difficult one now- my mom and I are close friends. She's the one person I want to call with good news, bad news, no news. If you'd asked either of us 15 years ago if we could imagine being here now... I don't think either one of us would have dreamed we could be this close.
My marriage. We're only 6 years into it. And we certainly do fight and handle things poorly at times. But there is an openness and honesty and trust in my marriage that I never dreamed I would find.
I know there's more but I think that's a good start. And I want to hear from you! Don't hold back, don't make excuses, don't be ashamed. What are your accomplishments?
Adding: I went back and found this post from 12/1/08 that listed accomplishments I'd made in the previous month.

3 comments:

Shell said...

That's amazing about your mom. My mom and I go through such rough patches, it's amazing that we can even talk.

As far as mine...besides parenting, I would say being a good wife. I WANT to fight and demand my own way, but I've learned that I need to support my Hubs in the choices that he makes.

Teacher Tom said...

Twenty-three years of marriage, plus two years of co-habitating. That's a quarter of a century. That will always be my greatest accomplishment until the next anniversary.

Great post, Liz.

Crazee Juls said...

I'm glad to see that you're on good terms with your mom after a rough "spot" in the road... I feel like I'm there right now with my own mother (rocky relationship), and it's hard--I want it to be better--but yeah, easier said than done I suppose. Sometimes I think I use your comment section as a confessional (sorry about that!)...ha ha. :) Thanks for sharing your accomplishments.