Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Total Mom Moment

As we gathered the church kids together... getting ready to head out to the sanctuary and do our Christmas program... a little boy, maybe age 8, asked me if they were going to get presents. Now if I had been more involved... had more time... I mean, I had considered having gift bags to hand out to the kids. It's one of the things I remember most about Christmas at church growing up. It was usually on Christmas Eve and as we left, we would be handed a brown paper lunch sack with a Christmas bow attached. Inside would be an apple, an orange, chocolates, and a candy cane. I'm also a recovering theatre junkie who used to adore cast parties. So it would have been great fun to have cookies and punch or hand out goodie bags or whatever to celebrate the weeks and weeks of practice and hard work the kids had done. But I didn't think of it in time, I didn't talk to anyone about it... I tucked it away for another day. So when this boy asked me, excitedly, hopefully... "Are we getting presents?" I gave him the Total Mom Answer. "This is our night to GIVE a gift to all the moms and dads and friends out there. The best part of Christmas is giving!!" His face said it all. I was a Total Mom.

8 comments:

Crazee Juls said...

:) Total mom, maybe... but it is true... I'm with ya though on "not getting" to things.

Garret said...

Poor kid. It's OK, he'll probably only remember that moment until he's 62.

Glad I could be there for you.

Jason, as himself said...

While true, that just isn't a very fun answer.

Deborah Stewart said...

Ha, ha, ha - that is too funny. I wouldn't have know what to say - your answer works for me!

Mellodee said...

Always remember, kids can recognize a snow job at fifty paces! In fact, I've often wondered if they are just humoring us about Santa? "Santa Claus? Oh yeah, comes down chimneys , flying reindeer, right...I believe, sure I do....as long as I get the toys I want!!" :-)

Alison said...

Don't let the naysayers get you down...I remember more than once having my parents snap me back to reality. Presents should be a pleasant surprise, not an expected reward.

{Bah, humbug! :)}

Karen M. Peterson said...

You were totally right, though. I mean, sure, it might have been nice to have a little something for the kids. But when giving is expected, it takes all the fun out of it.

KPCL Girl said...

I loved this...