Monday, January 14, 2013

3 Day Detox Cleanse

Oh boy.

I partially blame Carlos Whitaker for this.  He's a worship leader with a blog and I follow him on Facebook. From time to time, something he posts catches my eye and I investigate further.  He posted about this Dr. Oz cleanse.  I kind of rolled my eyes, figuring it was something hokey.  I thought it was one of those times that people were using Dr. Oz's name to sell something.  But then I followed the links to the website.

It's about detoxing the body.  Cleansing it of the crud from eating processed foods.  And you don't buy anything Dr. Oz is selling.  It's primarily fruits and veggies.  Specific fruits and veggies that do specific things for you.  We did have to sink some money into the products we didn't have at home - probiotics, almond butter, coconut water, coconut oil, ground flaxseed (which we never found so will be skipping it or using wheat germ), almond milk.

 Sunday evening, I prepped.  I pulled out rectangular food storage things and prepped food for the morning and lunch time drinks.

Monday morning, we started with green tea and lemon slices.  We made the morning drink (water, wheat germ, raspberries, banana, spinach, almond butter, lemon).  I very much noticed the raspberry flavor, Jeff thought it was very bland.  I kept getting raspberry seeds in my teeth, Jeff got bits of almond butter.  It wasn't awful.  With some adjustments after the 3 days, I could make this a regular part of my morning.

We took our 1/2 multivitamin and our probiotic.

By 11:00, I was hungry.  I grabbed my lunch drink from the fridge at work and poured about a cup's worth. I'm working my way through it.  It's thicker and I think I'll just have a cup at a time until it's gone.  It's celery, cucumber, kale leaves, green apple, pineapple, lime, coconut oil, and almond milk.  One of the commenters on the Dr. Oz page noted that it took about 2 hours to actually get all of the drink down.  I also took the suggestion to up the fruit a bit - added a little more pineapple.

Sometime after the lunch hour, I'll have the other half of my multivitamin and take my fish oil.

We didn't prepare afternoon snacks.  Knowing that it's going to take me some time to get through all 24 oz of the lunch drink makes me think I won't need it today.  However, I am pretty sure I will make an afternoon drink tomorrow.  I'll have a better idea of which drink is my favorite by then, too.

Dinner tonight will be mango, blueberries, coconut water, kale, lemon, avocado, cayenne pepper, wheat germ.

I have been wanting a kick start to healthy eating.  I've spent 2 weeks keeping daily exercise as part of my routine.  Now I'm working on my nutrients, my food, my diet.  After the detox, my plan is to stick to clean eating.  You have to re-enter the food world a little slowly after the detox - no rushing to McD's for a Big Mac.  I will most likely have some sort of fruit and veggie concoction for breakfast, a salad of raw foods for lunch... take it from there.

I've never done any kind of cleanse or detox.  I know I could have just switched my diet to focus on fruits and veggies, clean eating.  But I feel like putting in this effort and committing to this detox will keep me focused and more serious about my nutrition going forward.  And that's what I seriously need right now.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Garret said...

Ewwwwwwwww. Maybe have a professional colonic.