Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The New Rooms

For Zach's birthday present from us, we did some major revamping of our living space. We combined the kids' bedrooms. We took the other room and made a play room. While I took the kids to Ohio to visit Grandma, Jeff spent the evening and morning moving stuff from one room to the other, giving the combined bedroom a good vaccuuming, getting a new bed for Teagan (her full size bed won't fit in Zach's room). When he finished, the bedroom looked like this:
Still a few finishing touches to add- moving some more of Teagan's butterflies from her old room to this new combined bedroom, hanging some other framed art. The play room was mine to tackle. Jeff had moved toys from Zach's room into the space and left them disorganized so I could go through them fully. The kids then played in the playroom most of the day on Sunday and left it completely trashed. I worked most of the day on that mess. I sorted and tossed and set aside for donation. I thought and planned the layout of the room. And I think it turned out nicely! I decided to do the room in play centers (kind of). We have a home living type area with the kitchen and dollhouse (ignore the fan- that was just for me while I was working): A reading area with a cozy cushion and this fun tent that the kids love to sit in and read together: There is the basketball hoop with a bucket of balls and then another single reading area with a green bin of books that Teagan can read by herself with no assistance (or minimal assistance) from us: The shelves are stacked with toys in reachable spaces. The other shelves are storage. The toys are organized so blocks and legos are in one place, action figures and little people are in another, a bin for cars, a drawer for musical instruments, a basket for dress up, and more! And the last shot- a little workbench for important construction projects and a hanging laundry bag that we use to store stuffed animal friends. A day well spent! The kids have a sleep space that is set up to give them each their own area. The kids have a play area- a room that I can shut the door on if needed. I was able to move the play kitchen from the living room back to the play room, giving us better access to the front windows and giving us more space in the living room. I'm proud of the hard work that Jeff and I both did! I also managed to put together a bin and trash bag full of toys and books to donate, found a home for a toy crib that wasn't touched in our house, and found a few things to donate to the children's ministry at church. How about you? Have you tackled any big projects lately? Share your accomplishments! Photobucket

12 comments:

mimbles said...

I spent yesterday cleaning up Tom's room for his birthday! But I didn't do nearly as thorough a job as you've done.

A belated happy birthday to Zach!

Garret said...

Wow. Looks great Liz!

Nancy said...

Having a separate room just for toys should really be a help in keeping the kids' combined bedroom clean. Great idea!! You and your husband did a fantastic job.

Alison said...

Looks well planned-out to me. Must feel good to streamline a little by getting rid of so much. That's something we need to do, too, but it's harder to tell Miss Chef she can't have so many toys!

Unknown said...

Looks awesome...BOTH rooms do! I try hard to have the kids bedrooms as a SLEEPING area and the play room as a PLAYING area, but sometimes the toys find their way to the bedroom. Drake is getting easier to do that, but Avery still plays in her room so I keep some of her stuff up there. Plus, our play room is in the basement and sometimes she's just not wanting to go down there by herself.

Anyway...got all sidetracked...GREAT job on their bedroom and the play room! They're going to have a lot of fun and you're going to love having the toys out of your living room! Kudos to you!

Karen M. Peterson said...

That's a GREAT accomplishment!

I hope you'll link up on this Friday's Face it Friday blog hop!

Katherine said...

It looks great. I think you'll be happy with the change (especially since it sounds like they like to be together.)

C. Beth said...

That looks fantastic, Liz!!

Joanie said...

The rooms look great!

This summer (and I swear the hottest week of the year) my daughter, Dani and I tore up our old walkway!! SCORE!!

Mrs4444 said...

wow! Both rooms look terrific. Here's to keeping them that way :)

Minivan Lover said...

Awesome! *Jealous*

Anonymous said...

Liz, you did an amazing job! Wanted to tell you that the Dollar Tree has really cute wallies with planets ($1 a sheet) and butterflies that would really be cute over the kids beds!

Great job!