Monday, March 24, 2014

What I Love About Fred Phelps

I'm a hater, truth be told.  Well, maybe hate is a strong word.

That cult that was founded by Phelps - and it is a cult and not a church - leaves me very sad, angry, and frustrated and aghast.

But something amazing has come to light since his death last week.

For all the hate, anger, vitriol, despisement, intolerance and ugliness that Phelps and his followers put into the world....

There has been even more LOVE in response.


Many have written about it.  This isn't some new realization.  I've seen countless other blog posts and articles expressing the same idea.  And as I've read them, I realized that it sure would have been nice to realize the love while he was still alive.

The cult will continue to show up at concerts and funerals and such with their hate signs.

And protesters will continue to show up.  With signs of love and forgiveness.  Signs that just might show a brighter path ahead.  Signs that just might reach one of those hate-filled people.


So I do hope that Phelps is in a better place.  I don't wish hell on anyone.  And I do hope that he made peace with the Lord prior to his passing.  I hope that even in his last moments, he came to know the love of Christ and how fulfilling it truly is to love instead of hate.

And that the call from God is to LOVE.  Not to hate.  Not to dictate hate.  Not to encourage hate.  To love.  Everyone.



sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

1 comment:

Karen M. Peterson said...

Amen. Love everyone. No matter who they are or what they do.

So much easier said than done, but it is the charge we were given.