Thursday, March 6, 2014

Setting My Heart

I have a mom voice.  I'm ok with that.

I also have a yelling voice.  And I use it more often than I'd like.  More often than Jeff would like.  More often than my kids would like.

Sometimes, I yell to be heard.  I'm ok with that.

But mostly I yell because I'm angry.

I attended our Ash Wednesday service at church last night.  And the focus was on setting your heart on God.  Praying that my heart becomes more like His.  We even sang.  "Change my heart oh God. Make it ever true. Change my heart oh God. May I be like you."

And then there was the Scripture.  The Scripture that spoke to me.  And I came home and read it in different translations of the Bible.  And it spoke to me each time.

This is from Joel 2:13.

for he is merciful and compassionate,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
    He is eager to relent and not punish. (New Living Translation)


God is kind and merciful.
    He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot,
This most patient God, extravagant in love,
    always ready to cancel catastrophe.  (The Message)


You already know He is gracious and compassionate.
He does not anger easily and maintains faithful love.
    He is willing to relent and not harm you.  (The Voice)




He is not easily angered.

I am sometimes.

He is filled with kindness.

I'm not always.

God is kind and merciful.

I try to be.

He puts up with a lot.

I could work on that one.

He takes a deep breath.

It even tells me how to handle it when I feel angry!

Most patient. Extravagant in love.

I want to be like that.

I am setting my heart on God.  On this merciful, kind, gracious, loving, patient God.


sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

1 comment:

Leticia said...

Today's blog post really speaks to me. I'm really trying to find myself more patient with my husband, the children, with work/clients, and most importantly with myself.

I recently recognized that there is a lot that I am not doing with love these day's. I'm not okay with that.

I've been praying and trying to understand that I need to surrender because nothing else has worked and I don't know that anything else will until I let things run on the path they were meant to in life.

So much learnin, so little time!