Monday, March 10, 2014

I Hate Coconut Oil

Coconut oil has sure been in the news a lot lately.  And by "news," I mean Facebook and Pinterest and Twitter, of course.

I keep seeing things about how awesome coconut oil is for your hair, your skin, for cooking, and now even for your teeth.

Coconut oil is not good for you.  It's not beneficial in any way.  It's not good for you inside or outside.  It isn't going to give you soft, supple skin and it isn't going to be some fantastic leave in conditioner for your hair.

I don't care if you rub it on your elbows or excema spots.  I don't care if you swish it in your mouth for 20 mintues.  I don't care if you eat a spoonful every day or blend it into a smoothie.

You can talk all you want about triglycerides and lauric acid and boosting metabolism and thyroid function and improving digestion.

I want everyone to know that I hate coconut oil.  And no one should buy it.

Because I do buy it.  And if everyone keeps getting all crazy about it, the prices will soar, the quality will go down... Already this weekend, I got 2 of the last 6 jars at Trader Joe's and it was totally out of stock at Target.  So I am starting a campaign to STOP people from buying coconut oil!



I like to use it on my skin.  And in my hair.  And I did try oil-pulling (where you swish it in your mouth for 15-20 minutes) and it was kinda awful but kinda awesome, too.  And I cook with it all the time.  And I do like to put a spoonful in my smoothies.

In all seriousness, if you haven't yet experimented with coconut oil, you should.  I like it better than olive oil or any other oil when I'm cooking in the skillet.  As weird as the oil pulling thing is, I am already appreciating benefits like a reduction in inflamation in my gums and added lubrication in my throat (important for vocalists).

So go ahead and get yourself some coconut oil.  Just stay far away from my suppliers.

sig jan 2014 photo owlsig.jpg

7 comments:

rebeca @ The Average Parnet said...

this is great! I love coconut oil too! Lately I've been putting it (and butter!) in my morning tea. It's fantastic! I highly recommend VitaCost.com for affordable coconut oil. I've been buying their brand for some time and have been really happy. (if you need a referral link, I'm happy to share)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eternal Lizdom said...

Well, there was a comment about fat but it seems to be gone.

I will say that most of my uses are not ingested. I will put a spoonful in a smoothie. But I typically use it as a moisturizer and now with this poil pulling teeth thing. Even when I cook with it, it's a healthier fat than vegetable oil!

Anonymous said...

I would be wary of the 12g of saturated fat per tablespoon. That said, I haven't tried it, so I can't speak to its benefits!

Becky Meredith said...

I have just started using this to cook with. I have found you have to watch your heat because it will burn easily but food doesn't seem as greasy when I use this to fry with.

Karen M. Peterson said...

This post cracked me up!

I haven't tried coconut oil yet, but now I'm definitely going to.

Angie @ Just Like The Number said...

I've been oil-pulling a couple of times a week for about a month now ... I think I have the buffest cheek muscles around! Hadn't thought to put it in my smoothies.