Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Fragments

Another week, another set of fragmented thoughts! Muchos gracias to our lovely host, Mrs4444 of Half-Past Kissin' Time. ** One of my dearest friends is blogging now! She participated in yesterday's subject assignment so hopefully you visited her then. She is my parenting soulmate... she is one of my personal heroes... I hope you get to know her and her blog! LindseyMommy ** Speaking of yesterday... I really enjoyed visiting various blogs and reading different personal opinions on what it means to be a woman. It was really interesting and I learned a lot about myself and my sisters in womanhood. Thank you to everyone who participated! ** Ca-Joh hosts a Friday meme called Friday's Feast. This week, he's asking for recipes so I wanted to share a couple of my favorites. Since we've got the U.S. holidays coming up, I thought I would share the dish that I bring to all family holiday meals. I also want to share a seasonal recipe that I haven't made yet this year but will be making soon. Please understand that I tend to start with a recipe and then I just wing it after the first time. So my written recipes are kind of free form. Cranberry Sauce 1 bag of cranberries 1 can jellied cranberries 1 jar simply fruit orange marmalade 1 bag chopped walnuts Chop up the cranberries. Put jellied cranberries and marmalade in a saucepan. Once warm, add well chopped cranberries. Cook until cranberries have no more white showing. Stir in walnuts, remove from heat. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve. Great with turkey, pork loin, chicken... Liz's Canned Chili - 2 lb ground beef, browned with garlic and onion, drained - Cans of tomato product. I always use Red Gold and I prefer to use petite diced. 2 cans tomato sauce. 2 cans petite diced tomatoes. 2 cans chili ready with onion tomatoes. 1 can petite diced tomatoes with chilies. - 1 can red kidney beans, drained (can use 2 if you like beans) - chili powder, cumin (to taste; about 1 tb of each to start) - 1 or 2 cans of water Take all ingredients, except water, and add to crock pot. Stir. If it seems thick, add some water. Put the lid on and cook on high 2-3 hours or low 5-6 hours. You can't really go wrong in the crock pot so time isn't hugely important. If you plan to let it cook a long time, go for the low setting. This is a great dish for parties and pot lucks! Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, jalapenos, fritos, or whatever else you like with chili! ** We have a new arrival in the Chandler household. I am super duper excited about it. Teagan is also super excited. She's been asking for this for a long time. We've been wanting this for a long time. We are pleased to introduce... Fergie!

** I always name my cars. It started with Morris the Taurus. Then Puff the Magic ECHO. My last car was a Hyundai Sonata named Maggie (I think). And now a Chrysler Town and Country named Fergie. I name my cars with a specific method. As soon as the car is officially yours, you turn on your favorite radio station. Whatever song is playing... the name of your car is in that song. Morris... It was a Doors song (Jim Morrison). Puff... thank you, Peter, Paul and Mary. Maggie... I think I got somethin' to say to you. Fergie... Tonight's gonna be a good, good night! ** I wish I could have taken a picture. The exit ramp we take to get home from work is often populated by someone with the cardboard-and-sharpie sign, sharing an abbreviated version of their trials and tribulations and asking money, food, money, work, money... Classic fail yesterday evening. Guy on the corner, bundled up, hood up, cardboard sign in hand, walking up and down the side of the road, hoping for that handout... with a sign that read, "Cripled, hungry. Need money." He walked amazingly well considering his apparent disability.

** Have you seen or heard the annoying ads for Taco Bell's Black Jack Taco? The ads are grating... and that taco scares me! I've certainly seen colored chips- like blue corn being used to make blue chips. But I've never seen black corn. Except when it is burnt to a crisp. So I have to wonder how in the world they made a black taco shell. I assume dye. And I have to wonder what consuming that kind of dye would do to my digestive system. Ick. The whole idea is just... ick!

I think that's random enough for this week! Happy Friday!

11 comments:

Cajoh said...

Thank you for your contributions to today's Friday's Feast. I got you linked up so people will go to this page when they click on my link.

I like the cranberry sauce. Now I will have to post my wife's cranberry relish recipe which is very similar.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

But the dog in that commercial is OH SO CUTE!!

Hallie :)

Lori Martin said...

Wow...I was a bit worried when I saw you had posted a chili recipe. But, to my relief, Spaghetti O's were not in the ingredient list. Then I thought, "Of course, Lori...this is Liz's recipe, not Jeff's!". Hope you're doing well! Happy Friday and enjoy that new mini van!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Lori!!! My chili is nothing like Jeff's "KAC" (Kick Ass Chili). I always shuddered at the idea when he described it (spaghettio's as the base ingredient for chili)... but then he made it... and it really is pretty darn good! Not exactly what I would call chili... but tasty and comforting! Who knew?!

Ca-Joh, I am heading over to check out the other recipes!

Hallie- I'll grant you that the imagery in the ad is pretty cool. I like seeing the ad, on mute, and blinking when they show the taco.

Mrs4444 said...

Yea, that black taco thing is not appealing to me if it's made with dye; that's so unnecessary.

I'm not sure if you've ever seen this recipe, but if you like cranberries, you should definitely check this out! http://mrs4444cooks.blogspot.com/search/label/berry%20mallow%20yam%20bake

Congrats on the new wheels! :)

MrsSki said...

I name my cars too...and would name my parents cars when I lived at home. The Altima goes by Joan! So glad to read that I'm not the only one who does that!

That chili sounds good! I've been looking for a recipe. I wonder if it would work with ground turkey too? Hmm..

brainella said...

I named the first car I ever bought. Henny. Henny Honda. I loved that car. :) I haven't named my others though. I don't think I've loved them as much...

Alison said...

Haven't seen the commercial--yet another benefit to being on a strict tv diet. At least I've got something under control!

The only car name I've had was a French friend who gave cars (and his bike) very old names...and for the life of me, I can't remember now what name he gave mine! (He also nicknamed his friends...I was Alphonsine. Jolie, n'est-ce pas?)

Eternal Lizdom said...

Oui! Tres jolie! I always got ripped off in french class because the French for Elizabeth is... basically, Elisabet. Woohoo.

MrsSki, it would absolutely work with ground turkey! You just adjust things here and there, however it best suits your tastes. More beans, less beans, more spice, less spice, less tomatoes, whatever!

My car's naming song was on again this morning. I think she was confirming that I chose correctly.

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the mention, Liz! I think that sometime we should coordinate entries on how we became parenting soulmates......

Claudya Martinez said...

Welcome Fergie! I name my cars too and one of them is an ECHO.