Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Since When Is My Thumb Green?

I spent part of Sunday afternoon doing a little gardening. I'm not any sort of master gardener or even a good gardener. I'm still a novice and I'm still learning.

As I walked from front yard to back, working on various project, it struck me...

I have plants. I have things growing in dirt that I planted. And most of them are living and thriving.

I've made some mistakes. I planted way too many brussels sprouts and put them all way too close together. I did some transplanting yesterday from very crowded pot to backyard veggie garden.

6.14 garden1 6.14 garden4 6.14 garden7

I've made some discoveries. Keeping potted strawberries on the front porch makes for an easy and inviting munchie for critters. There was a gorgeous shaped green strawberry when I left for church and it was gone when I got home. So I moved the pot from front porch to the railing of the back deck- which is a good 7 feet off the ground. Not impenetrable but certainly more of a challenge.

6.14 garden12 6.14 garden13

6.14 garden14 6.14 garden15

I've made some progress- things are growing and looking big and healthy.

6.14 garden5 6.14 garden86.14 garden6 6.14 garden10 6.14 garden11

I even have things I can almost pick! My blackberries are going to be ripe pretty soon and I have my second banana pepper…

6.14 garden2 6.14 garden3

I still have this mystery plant that Teagan brought home… it almost looks like it’s going to vine upward so I wonder if I need to get a little trellis or something? Beans of some sort?

6.14 garden9

If you are in the Indianapolis area and don’t have a garden of your own, my friend Amy shared a great find over at Fit City!!

And I’m always inspired by Flartus and Miss Chef and their gardening success!

Anyone else gardening? I’m going to toss a little blog hoppy linky thing down there… share your gardening posts!

Photobucket

14 comments:

Christy said...

Gorgeous Garden!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow that is some garden! Gorgeous!

Garret said...

Bravo Liz. You've done VERY well! Is it time to move to a farm yet?

Eternal Lizdom said...

Jeff would love it if we could. He grew up in an area north of here that is far more rural and farm-y. I've told him we can move as soon as he's ready for me to be a stay at home mom and he handles everything money related.

In other words... it's not gonna happen! :)

Taryn said...

Yep, looks like beans!

Alison said...

Is that garlic? cool!

Thanks so much for the shout-out. I'm excited for you, having such success--I think it's easier to grow in the ground, and the more you plant, the less you notice the stuff that doesn't grow. (oh, and by the way, I've never had much luck with strawberries, in pots or in the ground, so there's one up on us!)

Those mystery plants do look like beans. It's possible you may need a pole or trellis for them. There are pole beans and bush beans, and if you see a single sprout sticking up in the air one morning, you've got pole beans. I've tried to learn as little as possible about beans, though. :) However, they are good for the soil, so I guess they have their use.

Anonymous said...

I'm a gardening junkie. While I don't consider myself a master by any means I have been planting nearly all of my life.

We are adding a few more raised beds soon. I need more yard therapy! I love reconnecting with nature and there is just something about working in the gardens that is very relaxing and almost therapeutic for me.

I have been meaning to post some pics of our gardens...and update since we planted them starting on mothers day. It's amazing how much they have grown in just one month!

Besides the lovely butterfly garden you inspired us to plant, I have four 4 X 8 foot raised beds for veggies, a 4 X 20 foot herb garden, a wild strawberry patch for the birds, our mulberry tree, a Lilly garden, a fairy garden, and a few random flower beds.

I get seasonal depression so I really suck up the time I have with our plantings because I know when the season ends I'll be blue.

You're plants are looking good, Liz!

Eternal Lizdom said...

@Lety - You should look into indoor gardening... maybe construct a small greenhouse... so you can garden more regularly.

Katie's Dailies said...

Something has been getting into our blueberry bush! Every morning I find more and more little berries scattered about. Really need to get some netting for it. And our blackberries are looking just like yours---can't wait for them to hurry up and get ripe!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Off to research pole beans...

We're talking about getting chicken wire and netting to put on the blackberry bush and around the garden to keep critters out...

If anyone has advie on getting rid of bugs who eat leaves.... you can see some of that damage in the pics, I think...

Katherine said...

Your garden is beautiful! It makes me really really want to plant one and grow my own vegetables. But between my husband's unwillingness to take care of it while I'm at work and the multitude of bunnies constantly in our yard, I may be safer sticking with the no-garden plan.

Eternal Lizdom said...

We're seeing more critters in our front yard- bunnies and chipmunks. There is a neighbor cat that prowls and all yards around us have dogs (and we do too but she's no threat at all) and I think that keeps some critters away.

Mellodee said...

My dear girl, anyone that can have that much green and growing stuff is doing a lot more than "a little gardening"!!!! A little gardening is when you get all gung ho and go out and pull weeds for about 15 minutes and then going inside to collapse!!! :)

Amy said...

This is your first year gardening? I am impressed! When you do something, you do it with ENERGY! Awesome!