Friday, June 25, 2010

FGF: Healthier Me Edition

Tomorrow is the Fishers Freedom Festival 5K. I am not confident that I will be able to run all of it because of my knee concern that I wrote about yesterday. I am confident that I will be able to at least complete it and run part of it. Not to worry- I know my body and I have never been someone who pushes too hard or goes past the point of safety to total blow out. Just not my style. I'll know when I need to walk and I'll walk. I'll know if I need to stop and stretch. The Feel Good part of this post: I updated the Healthier Me page listed in the header of the blog. Go check it out and then leave me some comment love back here... I updated the progress pic and talked about where things are now with my lifestyle changes. Thank you for the support and message and e-mails yesterday afternoon. It helped to get it out and it helped to get your encouragement. I have to say that, yes, THIS particular 5K really and truly was my ultimate goal. I did not go into this thinking, "I need to lose weight so I think I'll try running" or "If I pick a 5K, I can work to that goal." or "I want to lose x number of pounds." For 2 years, I've been talking about doing this 5K but I never made a plan and never put that plan into action because it would involve running and I detested running. This year... I decided that I was going to run. I decided to start the Couch to 5K program. I pretty quickly realized that I was going to have to make some major changes if I was going to succeed with the C25K program. I was going to have to change how I ate, what I ate, when I ate, how often I exercised, what kind of exercise I did, and I even went and got a physical for the first time in a decade. So the Fishers Freedom Festival 5K goal really and truly is a significant milestone for me. When I accomplish it, that doesn't mean I quit or that's the end. I accomplish goals and victories and successes every day and don't give up afterwards. We'll see what tomorrow morning holds in terms of the race. It doesn't break me if I can't complete it. It doesn't stop me from continuing this better and healthier way of living. But boy will it feel awesome if I really could jog the entire course... Here's to my continued journey of being a Healthier Me! Photobucket

8 comments:

C. Beth said...

I totally hope you can jog the whole thing. It also sounds like you're being realistic with your body's current status, listening to it. Very glad to hear that.

I am sorry if my comment yesterday--to find a new 5K goal--at all belittled your disappointment. I've had some disappointing work-related news today, something that's hitting me kinda hard. And as I sat there, just wanting to feel better, I remembered--it's okay to be disappointed. It's okay to be sad. It's okay to have bad feelings. Of course I don't want to wallow in them, and I want to find positives in a situation that is difficult emotionally, but it's okay to still have those icky emotions. So, if your knee tomorrow says, "Sorry, Liz, time to walk" and you feel upset, sad, disappointed, that's okay. I know you well enough (I think!) to know you'll let yourself feel it for awhile, and you'll move on. That's a healthy way of handling life. Probably healthier than trying to deny that sad things are indeed sad.

Because the cool thing about genuine feelings is, if your knee cooperates and you cross that finish line after running every step of the 3.1 miles, you are going to get to experience some INCREDIBLE feelings. And I hope that's how it turns out!

Minivan Lover said...

Run what you can! You will do great I'm sure. If you can run the whole thing- great. If not you have a year to continue training.

Katherine said...

I think the real motivating part of this is that, even with your knee injury, you are planning on participating in the 5K, even if it means walking part of it. I think if it had been me, I would have just scrapped the whole thing. Good for you! I'm excited to hear how the race goes.

Nancy C said...

I am excited to hear how you do! There are so many ways to run a race, and you will be doing more than most of the population by showing up tomorrow! WAY TO GO!

Mimi N said...

Good for you Liz! You know your limits and you're not willing to do serious damage to your body by pushing yourself past what's reasonable. I believe you will totally do this 5K in the way that's healthiest for you! You go girl! I would be winded after a minute and a half! Not kidding!

~Mimi @ Woven by Words
http://wovenbywords.blogpsot.com

Momza said...

I have a secret to tell--
since you're part of it, it's only right you should know, right?

You, Eternal Lizdom have inspired me, day after day, month after month, to love my SELF better--with your example and truthfulness, and your wit and determination, I silently began my own diet and exercise and have lost 17 pounds off my bahooey since March.
If I keep at it, I want to run the Bolder Boulder marathon next May.
So pat yourself on the back for me and say, "Tres bien"...
love your guts!

Amy said...

Best of luck to you. I can imagine how proud and happy you will be to cross the finish line -- jogging or walking.

Anonymous said...

A super Feel Good post! Plus I love the look of your blog!