Thursday, May 26, 2011

Getaway!

I am very excited that we have finally found the time to squeeze in a family getaway! 

I'm a little bummed that we won't be taking a big trip this summer.  We had seriously considered Sesame Place but it just didn't make sense financially.  We would take 2 days to drive there, spend 2 days having fun, and then another overnight to get home.  That's a lot of hotel stays and long driving (and expensive gas) and meals out and going to Sesame Place is not cheap. 

Instead, I started looking at nearby places that we could easily drive to and still have a great time.

My kids are 6 and 3 years old.  There isn't a lot of patience for long car rides.  There isn't a lot of expectation of fabulous resort vacations. 

As long as there is a hotel with a pool, they're on vacation.

We're going to Kentucky!  Specifically, we're going to Louisville and Lexington.  The drive is only 2 hours so it will be a piece of cake to get there.  And with the help of a friend in the area, I found a hotel I'm very excited about at a great price. 

We've got time set aside to just enjoy the pool and hotel when we first arrive.  Time to just relax and play and have fun. 

We've got plans to do some outdoor fun stuff- like rent a surrey along the waterfront for an hour! 

We're going to the Speed Art Museum.  Jeff and I like to visit art museums.  The kids have enjoyed an art museum before, too.  This one has some really cool stuff for kids!

We're going to take in a Louisville Bats baseball game.  They're the farm team for the Cincinnati Reds.  I find that I rather enjoy minor league baseball- maybe more than the majors.  It's more affordable, it's more intimate, and I feel like the game is played with more passion for the game itself.  Last year, we had a great time at a local Indianapolis Indians game with a group from church.  We also went to a Fort Wayne Tin Caps game last summer.  We will definitely get at least 1 Indians game in this summer- the week after vacation, in fact.  And if we do a weekend in Fort Wayne, I'd love to be able to go to another Tin Caps game.

We're going to visit my aunt and uncle near Lexington.  They live on a farm and are surrounded by farms so my kdis will love being around cats and dogs and horses.  I hear there are lambs at a neighboring farm, too.  I'm looking forward to seeing my aunt.  We only see each other at holidays and special family gatherings. 

While near Lexington, we're going to check out the Explorium before heading out to dinner with Jeff's cousin and her husband.

We'll visit the Louisville Zoo.  Our family always enjoys the zoo.  I have so many fond memories of visiting the Cincinnati Zoo when I was a kid and when my brothers were kids. 

Best of all, it will be time away from home, from my messy kitchen, from my stressful and busy job.  It will be time away from real life and a chance to just have fun together. 

Photobucket

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awesome. Family getaways are always the best. Have a great time.

Garret said...

sounds awesome.