Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Love Overflows

Do you ever get completely overwhelmed by how much love there is in the world? It's so easy to see all the bad, all the hurt, all the sickness, all the pain. But do you ever get overwhelmed by how much love is out there? I am blessed and loved. I've seen bad, bad stuff in my life. I've been hurt, abused, hungry, shamed, angry, sad. But life is good. Here's the thing- for me, it all centers around my faith. How I treat my husband, my kids, my friends, my family- it all centers around my relationship with God. I've seen amazing things happen in the last 2 weeks and have been honored to be able to be part of those happenings. I know that God put me in the right place at the right time and gave me the time and resources I needed to reach out in special ways to those in need. And I also got to witness the compassion and generosity of others- giving to people they don't even know, giving a small amount when there isn't much to give. To me, that's what life is all about. That's what living is all about. Love. Love in action. Love is a choice. You can choose to love the people around you by the way you choose to treat them. You can choose to love your friends, your neighbor, and even strangers by the actions you choose. My life isn't perfect- there is pain and suffering for friends and family, there are bad days and financial struggles in my life. But my life is still blessed. And not just by material things or financial things or even by the people in my life. My life is blessed by love. And the really amazing part is that the more I open myself up to love... the more it flows around me and through me. When I focus on positive and love and blessings... there is more of it. Even on a dark and hard day, blessings end up flowing through. My faith is the foundation of this experience for me. My church family, my church home is what has helped me build on that foundation. I also can't express in words how much my church family means to me. I grew up going to church and knew the generosity that members of a congregation can have. And I also witnessed the ugly side of a church family when there would be gossiping and underhanded compliments- the love didn't overflow. Maybe I'm somehow sheltered from it and there is some ugly underbelly that I just haven't experienced... but... I don't experience that ugly side in my church home. I could turn to any person there and ask for help and I know I would be helped. If you are someone that God placed in my path this week- in any capacity- I have to thank you. Thank you for partnering with me. Thank you for loving with me. Thank you for reaching out, taking a risk, doing more than you have to do. Thank you for heaping the love until it overflowed. Photobucket

9 comments:

Expats Again said...

You pretty much summed it up, Liz. A good reminder for us all.

Barnmaven said...

I loved reading this.

Anonymous said...

Liz, I am so very greatful that our paths have crossed and that we get to share some of this roaed to life together.

You've taught me a lot about love, and how to love and honor myself.

I am trying hard to learn how to open up more and I hope that the love I have for the world will branch out into my marriage in the coming year.

No matter where my path takes me I am and always will be eternally greatful for your presence!

Bill Lisleman said...

always good to see the good.
Merry Christmas

Garret said...

Pass the wine please.

Karen M. Peterson said...

My church family has really become a part of my family, too. I know just what you mean.

Shell said...

Such a sweet, beautiful post.

Kim said...

I'm not a church person but my faith is strong in my own higher power. I agree that if you have a foundation like that, it is possible to see the love even when bad things happen. Visiting from shell's

Craig said...

Hi, I came over here from Shell’s.

Amen, it all centers around Our Lord, like spokes for the hub of a wheel. And you are so right, blessed through the circumstances, besides them, and love overflows. I’m glad God placed you in MY path this week. Merry “Overflowing Love” Christmas to you and yours.