Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What The Kids Want...

Ah, Christmas shopping. It isn't my favorite activity, I have to admit. This year, knowing that our kids are going to be shwoered with gifts from friends and family, we are going smaller in our own home. One little rhyme credited back to Victorian days as a guide for gift giving is: Something you want Something you need Something you wear Something you read We always cover "wear" by giving pajamas on Christmas Eve. We go to church and come home and open the packages that contain the pj's and they were them that night. Now, Zach currently has an overflow of pj's- he got several pairs of nice, warm jammies for his birthday. Teagan is needing pajamas- she has outgrown most of what she currently has in her drawer. "Read" is covered. I purchased some Usborne books when school was doing a fundraiser. They are tucked away in my closet so I don't remember exactly what the titles are off the top of my head. But I know I got Teagan two chapter books- written at her comprehension level. Wizard of Oz and Black Beauty. 2 of my favorite. For Zach, I think I got a dinosaur puzzle book and I can't remember the other. "Need" is a challenge because our kids don't really need anything. Teagan has too many shoes. They both have clothing and school supplies. They have sheets and blankets. Seems wrong to give them vitamins or flu shots or something. Oh! Teagan needs new tights. Zach... still scratching my head on that one. "Want" will be Barbies for Teagan and Buzz and Woody dolls for Zach. Santa gets to bring fun things. The kids get to ask Santa for 1 thing each. Zach asked for a guitar- which we were prepared for and he's been consistently saying he was going to ask for. Teagan has been saying she was going to ask Santa for Barbies or a popcorn popper but when the time came to sit on the jolly man's lap... she asked for a hula hoop! Thankfully, I have a great network of shopping mommy friends who scouted out various stores and a friend found a plethora at Meijer. Jeff went and picked one out and it is sparkly and yellow-gold. Santa also brings things that are for the family, for both kids. Popcorn popper, new playdoh, maybe a couple of movies. I think it's going to be a good Christmas and the kids will be happy. Now, if I could just find time to finish shopping and do all the wrapping! Photobucket

4 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

One of my best friends does that want/need/wear/read with her kids and it seems to work really well. I like the idea of it. If I had kids, I'd probably want to do it too.

Garret said...

Wrapping that hula hoop. Oy.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Thank heavens for big, pretty bows!

Dillypoo said...

I'm childless by choice, but I love reading about your parenting style. I've never heard that poem, but it's wonderful.

Merry Christmas!