Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I'm A Keeper!

I've made some very lovely blog-friends over the past 8 or 9 months and one of them is Alix over at Casa Hice. She is a grand story teller and has a wicked sense of humor.
She has bestowed a lovely award upon me...

There are always rules, of course. You have to earn your awards!

1. Post a funny or sweet keepsake that tells something about myself.

2. Pass the award on to 10 other bloggers that I think are keepers.

A funny or sweet keepsake about myself? Like Alix, I feel like I've shared so many! My favorite would be My Magic Christmas. Or sweet posts about my kids and how much I love them or how happy they are.

But if I dig back... search and search the memory banks...

I remember the day that my husband proved to me that he was my hero. He likes to play it up like he's a wus... but when you get right down to it... he is loyal, reliable, strong.

Childbirth can be an overwhelming experience. Going into it the first time, I had no clue what it would be like. I was scared of the pain, potential tearing, contractions, blood, afterbirth, placenta... just all of it was so overwhelming. We went to our childbirth classes. I read books. I got online and joined birth boards and learned from moms who had been through it.

Jeff was nervous. He didn't think he could handle the blood. The idea of a child pushing through my vagina was a bit more than he could bear. The nasty factor of childbirth is very strong when you haven't been through it.

At one point in the pregnancy, Jeff even tried to convince me that he didn't want to be in the delivery room. No way was he getting away with that! But we did agree that he would be an above the shoulders dad- there to support me, cheer me, help me. But not dealing with the below the waist birthing part at all.

We're at the hospital. Labor is in full swing. I'm handling it pretty well- until my water breaks and the contractions get insanely hard. I cave and ask for an epidural.

The nurse and doctor come in and have me sit up, lean over the bed tray, and ask Jeff to hold me still. As I am moving into sitting position, a contraction hits and I freeze. Jeff keeps hold of my arm and keeps me held frozen in place until the contraction passes. I get in place on the bed and cart thingee, head down on a pillow. Jeff leans over me and whispers in my ear while they do the epidural. Held me in place, comforted me.

Then we get to the point where it is time to puuuuush. The part Jeff's been worried about. There aren't stirrups... the nurse has me pull my knees up and then instructs Jeff to grab my leg and hold it in place.

He pales a bit. And grabs hold.

The contractions are almost constant at this point. My epidural is about half effective so I can feel when the contractions hit and know when to push. The nurse is holding one leg, Jeff is holding the other.

Teagan starts to crown. Her head would push forward and back in, forward and back in.

Jeff, my husband... the one who was so scared... who thought he didn't want to be there... who didn't want to see any of it... became fascinated by the birthing process.

He starts trying to convince me that I need to see what is happening, how amazing it is. He begs me to let him get the camera... to have them pull down the mirror so I can see it, too. He's holding my leg, he's cheering me on, he's completely excited about everything that is happening.

I couldn't have done it without him. He's a keeper, too. My own keepsake.

And no- Even with his ringing and enthusiastic endorsement and encouragement, I didn't watch and there are no pictures or videos of Teagan's birth. Thank you.

***

I am going to award this lovely blog award to the following blogs that I love reading and look forward to seeing pop up on my reader!

C. Beth Blog

A Look On The Random Side

tangobaby

The Mom Experience

Rejected Truth

Frogs In My Formula

The Jason Show

A Long Patience

Being Michael's Daddy

Fourth Frog Blog

Honorable mention to: moosh in indy and Color Me Katie

But all my readers and all the blogs I visit and comment on... all keepers!!

7 comments:

darsden said...

Congratulations and you deserve it.. this is a funny funny post LOL.

Tom said...

What a great story. I'm glad he's a keeper; a good husband will be of the caliber to stay with and encourage/support mom during childbirth, in my opinion.

Congrats on the award! And thank you for passing it on to me. I'll have to cook up a good "keepsake" story to go along with it.

Jackie E. said...

I've never had kids and have always questioned whether or not I'd be any good at motherhood or whether or not I could tolerate childbirth. I have to say, having read your post, which you detailed really well, I might add (I felt like I was right there with you, lol), I'm even more sure that I'm not cut out for that experience!!

Kudos to Jeff though for standing in there with you and "manning" up. Again, I'm not so sure I could "woman" up:-)

Eternal Lizdom said...

Jackie- The bottom line is that once you get to the end of the pregnancy and you are in labor... you will do just about anything to get that baby OUT. Zach's labor... I almost gave up. It was much longer and intense in a different way. I'll save that story for another day, though.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award & I am honored to have it passed on to me. I am one of those spoil sport bloggers who doesn't give awards or post them on my blog for a couple of reasons, but it does not take away from the sentiment to me at all and I really appreciate being included.
~Is so glad she was never in labor.
But if I had kids, I would let you discipline them :-0. ~Mary

Boozy Tooth said...

Awesome job as usual Liz. I love your birth story and how Jeff surprised the both of you by letting the beauty of the moment sway his preconcieved (pardon the pun) notions about childbirth.

My son was hastily delivered with the assistance of a vacuum extractor in an operating suite as a last ditch effort before a C-Section became necessary. No photos of that, but Adrian's birth was filmed for posterity - upclose and personal. I wanted to be able to offer her the choice of watching herself be born or not. If she ever wants to, we have the film. I don't think I'd arrange a movie night around it, but at least we captured the moment.

Thanks for doing the award proud. I knew you would. You never disappoint. Love you.

Kristi said...

You definitely are a keeper Liz! And thanks for the award! I haven't had as much time to read blogs lately (nor write for that matter) so I missed this one somehow. : )

Thanks for inspiring me to continue to write!